Hasegawa 1/700 J.M.S.D.F. DDG Kirishima "Hyper Detail"

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Hasegawa 1/700 J.M.S.D.F. DDG Kirishima "Hyper Detail"

Post by Duke Maddog »

Oh man, that is most impressive! I can't wait to see more!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Impressive indeed although my wouldn’t cooperate with me working with such tiny PE parts. Looking forward for more....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Duke and Black Sheep. I painted the grey, now I need to attach it to the base so I can have something to hold on to to paint the small parts such as the satcom domes, CIWS, etc. then add the rigging and some weathering. After that is done, I can finish the base.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Amazing work! How will you paint the deck? I'd love to know. It's the most difficult thing for me to do when it comes to building ships.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Duke. I sprayed the entire ship with a the same color. The Kirishima is painted all the same color except for the SPY 1 radars.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I’m done with the JMSDF DDG 174 Kongo class Kirishima. This was a great little kit with outstanding detail. Except for my mess up and correction with the superstructure, the only complaint I would have is with all the work Hasegawa put into PE and hyper detail I wish they would have put as much thought into the helicopter. The helo did come with a PE main rotor and tail rotor but it’s lacking anything that would represent main gear. However, it is not necessary to attach the helo if that is a concern. The PE sheet came with additional very small parts incase one is lost, but my suggestion is not to lose any in the first place. I don’t know how many times my progress was totally halted because I had to crawl around with a flash light to find a piece that was dropped from the tweezers. That would be my failing, not the kit’s.
The decal sheet also came with additional small decals incase one or two were damaged or attached them selves to the tweezers and cannot be found. No need to ask how I know this.
All in all, I would say that Hasegawa’s “Hyper Detail” version of the kit is not for the beginner and may be not for the more advanced modeler just getting into PE sets. I will also say that non-1/700 scale PE looks very large now under the magnifying lamp now.
Thank you to Hobbico for allowing me to build and review this great little kit. It is difficult to make a 1/700 scale ship not look like a toy and Hasegawa has pulled it off.

Steve

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Congratulations, Steve!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Very impressive finish! The build and base together look outstanding!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Indeed, impressing build and kit !

Nope, you can't say this one would look "toyish" at all, very very nice.

( As sidenote, I was not aware of that the "rising sun" flag is still in use by the Japanese Navy )

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well done and thanks for the info on the color of the deck. That sure makes it easy if everything is the same color. Brilliant work man! Congrats on an outstanding review.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member Reviews”