P-51D-1/72 Canuck Cold War

Aircraft, Ships, Armor, etc....not manufactured in the country of use. This will cover WW 2 to present day.
59North

P-51D-1/72 Canuck Cold War

Post by 59North »

This is my third model on the bench; there because I don't like to watch paint dry and would rather keep modelling while that's happening. For me, three is about right, but, makes finishing an individual build move along at glacial speed. So I'm glad the end of this campaign is October, 2016 and I'm in early.

Anyway, the Canadians do have a history with the American built P-51 Mustang. I hope to build a cold war example in Canadian colors. These were flown into the mid-50's as an interim fighter before being replaced by Sabres and CF-100's.
My build will portray one flown in a western Canada squadron, simply because that's where I live.

Here's the photo's of the kit that's been in the stash way too long:

There's not a whole lot in the box:

I'll be adding some stuff, and using Leading Edge AM decals.

I kinda like this:

With not much more to say, it's time to get building. Not too quick, though.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: P-51D-1/72 Canuck Cold War

Post by Thomas_M »

Hahaha! That´s funny! I have exactly the same decal sheet, but for a bird in 1/32 scale! :P1:

Dunno why but I really like the look of Canada´s national marking. This is why I did my Fisher Models Sea Fury in Canadian service.

Happy to see you join in with your little pony, 59North!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to see some progress on your canadian pony.

Oh, I love Canada by the way. One of my dream destinations.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Those are some nice markings. This should be a good one. A few more after market items and you won't need the kit! :giggles: There sure isn't much in that box.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Welcome to SPAM!

This'll be a nice looking build :popcorn:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
59North

Post by 59North »

Thanks folks, for welcoming me to this group build in a new forum. I'll try not to let you down.
LyleW wrote: A few more after market items and you won't need the kit! :giggles:
I know! All I need still is a pair of AM exhaust. Then it will be considered built in Canada and knocked out of the foreign idea. :rules:

I have cut parts off sprue and cleaned them, but, now there's a little thing called 'Christmas' in the way.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Ultracast first comes to my mind in regards of new exhausts. They also have wonderful corrected flaps, in case you are going to build them down.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thomas_M wrote:Ultracast first comes to my mind in regards of new exhausts. They also have wonderful corrected flaps, in case you are going to build them down.
Now, Thomas, don't be an enabler......

59North - you can't let us down (that didn't sound right..). We just enjoy watching builds and seeing the results!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
59North

Post by 59North »

Just thought I'd like to post that some work is happening with this kit. Even if I have only a few minutes, I'll do a little of something.

None of the forming parts shown here are complete, and they won't be until the fat lady sings. A little PE, a little paint, and what seems a-lot of drying time.

The oil wooden floor look will not be dry until after Christmas, so I guess I'll have to start working on landing gear, and such.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good thus far.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “In Foreign Service”