Boeing 247 1/72 Williams

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Boeing 247 1/72 Williams

Post by LyleW »

Back in the saddle again, Slingin' styrene into the wind, ….Yee Hawwwwwwwwwwww

Any way, I've started the 247. With some dread I might add. So far, nothing to earth shattering, just a misplaced cabin window. I've seen it, held it and put it somewhere safe...Filled that opening with Micro Krystal Klear. Here we go. Love the instructions!

Small stuff. I chose to do the Roscoe Turner Racer. Rather than seats, his had fuel tanks. The one on the far left, top has been wrapped in BMF and had lead foil tape straps put on. The next one to the right is simply painted a Krylon Silver Foil Metallic and then added the lead foil straps. Most of the bottom row has simply been painted. Brain finally said, "You won't see it." So, I see no reason to add more of the lead foil straps.

The cockpit is about as basic as it gets. A decal was provided for the instruments and thank you Williams Bros. for the flat surface to place it. Again, you won't see it. Love this sprue attachment.

Measured and then used the Silhouette cutter to make masks. I did redo the tape placement and sut more wheel masks.

Anodized aluminum or not? What do you think. I mixed up some Sky Gray (XF-19) with some Flat Aluminum (XF-16). Close to 50/50. Just brushed it on the bottom wing center section. I did get a gracious and helpful response from Greg Bale, too. He made up thin, gray stripes and printed decals to use as panel lines. Thought that was interesting. I'll put a picture up later. Also, got more info on the "glazing". Seems it was more of a straight up dry brush.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great pictures, Bruce! Thank you. The interior shot is cool.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Of course! I am happy you are building! All the best!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Humbrol’s flat aluminum, 56, is a nice dark dull shade of that color. Far more so then Tamiya or Testors, and great for a weathered or anodized look.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ordered some from Humbrol. This isn’t readily available in the US?
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Both of my local shops carry Humbrol in the store. It all depends on the shop. I know that Squadron carries them online. It was in my latest catalog.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
AtomCat109
Advanced Member

Post by AtomCat109 »

Great subject choice, I will enjoy this and when ever you do the C-46 Comando!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:Both of my local shops carry Humbrol in the store. It all depends on the shop. I know that Squadron carries them online. It was in my latest catalog.
Well that is good to know. Thanks. I don’t think I’ve seen .them at the shop “closest” to me.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

AtomCat109 wrote:Great subject choice, I will enjoy this and when ever you do the C-46 Comando!
Boy, you need to get out more! :bye: I got this and then a 1/72 DC-3 to have two in the same scale. Although not quite in the same class as the Doulas offering, this was and is very classy looking.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”