Entex 1/200 HK1 Spruce Goose

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Entex 1/200 HK1 Spruce Goose

Post by LyleW »

One of these has been on my wish-list for a while. Since the original is not available, picked this one up locally from an Ebay seller. He really seemed to only have this one kit. Said he mostly repairs reel-to-reel tape decks. It looked complete and technically, it was... Until you get to the props. Of the eight props, 5 are busted to pieces....anywhere from one to all four blades missing. I think a couple of pieces of them are gone. as the box was in pretty sad, okay ….crappy, shape. The sprue that held the props was sort of still sealed, but had an inch or two opening in one end.

My first thoughts are to have 5 turning and three waiting to be started.....I will try to glue the blades back and see what happens.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Entex 1/200 HK1 Spruce Goose

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: My first thoughts are to have 5 turning and three waiting to be started.....I will try to glue the blades back and see what happens.
That was my first thought as well - you could do the prop disc thing on those that are running

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4712

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=16353

Excuse the PB images - but hopefully you get the idea!

Oh and great looking kit by the way!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks. It looks to be fairly true, with little or no warping. . . unlike me. The Decal sheet is stunning in its complexity and choices.

Guess I'll be spending some time making black circles to use for windows, huh?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow the choice! What a about a What-if USN bird?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The thought did cross my mind. I am not big on the "what if" builds, though. May be an option, though, if not on this one....
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man that’s a cool subject and kit you have there Lyle. I saw her when they pulled it out of storage and moved it over to Terminal Island on the Long Beach side while they built the dome to display her by the Queen Mary back in 78 or so. I later was able to take a walk thru tour in 88 after she had been restored and placed on display inside that dome. A very impressive piece of flying machinery.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Cool! Why does this not surprise me? Thanks.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:Man that’s a cool subject and kit you have there Lyle. I saw her when they pulled it out of storage and moved it over to Terminal Island on the Long Beach side while they built the dome to display her by the Queen Mary back in 78 or so. I later was able to take a walk thru tour in 88 after she had been restored and placed on display inside that dome. A very impressive piece of flying machinery.
That she is. I’d love an 8 hr time to explore it. The engineering and workmanship are outstanding!
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I had that kit at one time Lyle. Too bad I still don't have it or I'd send it to you for spares. :sad:
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”