Fleet Defender...

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
Stikpusher

Re: Fleet Defender...

Post by Stikpusher »

CAG- Commander Air Group, is the old naval aviation term for the officer in that role, in charge of all the squadrons in that unit. Which since some time after WWII has been redesignated as a Carrier Air Wing. But “CAW” doesn’t have the same ring to it. So the old term has kept in use. Each squadron commanding officer answers to CAG.

Each Air Wing has multiple squadrons of different types of aircraft and roles. Fighters, Attack, Anti Sub, Electronic Warfare, Helo, etc.. MODEX is the term (I could not tell you the meaning at this time) that are the individual aircraft identifiers within the air wing at a given time. These can and will change over a particular aircrafts lifetime. This is not to be confused with the aircraft’s Bu. No., or Bureau of Aeronautics Number, which is permanent and identifies the aircraft within the service and will never change.

MODEX will have a two letter tail code: say AJ or NK as examples. “A” prefix Air Wings are based on carriers with an Atlantic Ocean home port. “N” prefix Air Wings are based on carriers with a Pacific Ocean home port. Air Wings rotate between carriers over time, and every so often carriers will change home ports over their lifetime.

As was stated above the “x00” MODEX are CAG birds, and in today’s all gray low viz TPS schemes are marked in retro style full color schemes. In the era of full color pre TPS schemes, the CAG birds would have all of the squadron colors in the air wing on the tail, because each each squadron has an assigned color- Red, yellow, blue, green, etc.

Aircraft with the “x01” MODEX are squadron commander aircraft, and will also usually wear full color schemes with only the squadron colors, instead of the full air wing colors found somewhere on the CAG bird tails.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

So in that photo then - the F-14 is the CAG bird and the F/A-18 is the Squadron Commanders?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, F-14 100 is a CAG Bird, while Super Hornet 101 is the Squadron Leaders mount. That photo was probably taken when VF-2 was transitioning from F-14s to Super Hornets and would then change its designation to VFA-2. Attack and Fighter Squadrons that transition from either their old F-4, F-14, or A-7s to the F/A-18 family have given up their old VF fighter or VA attack designations and have been re titled at VFA fighter attack squadrons to cover the dual role.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

portman wrote:Can you get one in 1/32? That would be massive!
https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?f ... -14+tomcat*
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Most people go with the Trumpeter Tomcat in 1/32.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Modelcrazy wrote:
portman wrote:Can you get one in 1/32? That would be massive!
https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?f ... -14+tomcat*
Yes it is. I have the 1/32 Revell Tomcat in my stash. Along with some early 80’s low vis markings for VF-1. It is a big one indeed! It looks pretty good in the box. I’ll get around to it one day.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Reading all the reviews, I think I'd be pretty stupid to get anything but the Tamiya kit - especially as I have some money sitting around from my Mother-in-Law for Christmas. It even have the unit markings I want.

I have to say I don't fancy the HB or Hase kit - all those dropped flaps and slats don't appeal (I tend to like my builds buttoned up), but what's the issue with the old Revell/Monogram kit - from the builds I've seen on line it looks pretty good shape wise. okay it has riased lines and poor detail in places but is it a hard kit to put together?

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have a couple of the Monogram kits in my stash, the A, and the D. Test fitting them, I think the biggest gripe is the fit of the upper to lower fuselage. But then again, unless you get an original or early boxing, the molds are aging, dating back to 1981. I have no doubt that I’ll get a good looking pair of Tomcats out of my two kits, but I don’t expect smooth sailing to get there.

One other kit you may want to consider, at least for its pricing, is the Fujimi F-14. I built the Testors boxing of it, and it’s not a bad choice. I don’t remember any problems aside from the canopy frame fit. But mine was a little warped. And the Sidewinder & Sparrow missiles are best replaced.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Even though you've already written off the Hasegawa kits, remember I did a build review here in these boards of the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Tomcat dual kit. One I did almost full P/E, the other just basic plastic build. Feel free to look that over; although it will most likely cement your resolution to stay away from Hasegawa.

Regardless, I'll be following this Thread.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Mark - Funnily enough I read those this morning :grin: Nothing wrong with the 1/72 Hasegawa kit other than it's expensive, complicated for my needs and lacks weapons - Still want to build one though :grin:

As it is I've ordered a 1/72 HB kit as it's cheap, simple and should allow me to practice paintimng a high viz USN bird before I blow £70 on a Tamiya.
Stikpusher wrote:I have a couple of the Monogram kits in my stash, the A, and the D. Test fitting them, I think the biggest gripe is the fit of the upper to lower fuselage. But then again, unless you get an original or early boxing, the molds are aging, dating back to 1981. I have no doubt that I’ll get a good looking pair of Tomcats out of my two kits, but I don’t expect smooth sailing to get there.

One other kit you may want to consider, at least for its pricing, is the Fujimi F-14. I built the Testors boxing of it, and it’s not a bad choice. I don’t remember any problems aside from the canopy frame fit. But mine was a little warped. And the Sidewinder & Sparrow missiles are best replaced.
Thanks for the info Carlos!

Return to “Future Builds”