Trumpeter 1:72 Curtiss P-40B

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Trumpeter 1:72 Curtiss P-40B

Post by BlackSheep214 »

What kit brand? I've got the Airfix 1/48 scale in my stash. I'm looking to do mine from Pearl Harbor.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke Maddog wrote:This will be amazing Bruce! I'm looking forward to seeing this one started.
Duke! I don’t know if this is going to be amazing. The kit has a few issues. I am looking forward to some fixes but others I am not sure about doing yet. I was planning new cockpit floor, seat, an IP from my spares bin, new guns and pitot tube from Albion Alloys brass in addition to shaving down raised hatch details. Fingers crossed! Thank you for being supportive
BlackSheep214 wrote:What kit brand? I've got the Airfix 1/48 scale in my stash. I'm looking to do mine from Pearl Harbor.
This is Trumpeter with a spare decal sheet from the Airfix kit which has markings for No. 68 from Hell’s Angels.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce, every kit has issues; it's the skill and imagination of the modeler that helps overcome those issues to make a model amazing. You've demonstrated those skills immensely so I have faith you'll knock this out of the park. I'll keep watching as you bring this forward.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Exactly! Build it to the best of your abilities!

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke! Carlos!

Not a day goes by when I don’t give thanks for both of you. Thank you for being so kind and supportive. I truly am grateful.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: I don't think I've ever looked at an early P-40 and thought ''Ah yes, those are RAF Temperate Scheme...", but now that you mention it, it does look quite similar, maybe not identical, but painted with the closest matches to hand.

Looking forward to seeing you do a P-40 Bruce, I built the Airfix B model a few years back and enjoyed it.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, any multi color camouflage schemes applied to P-40B & C types was to RAF specs. The US was not yet at war. The colors were DuPont equivalents of the RAF colors. Those for USAAF orders were in OD over Neutral Gray. The E model came out immediately before Pearl Harbor, and the first overseas shipments of those went to where the US was most expected to go to war - the Philippines. The E and later P-40 types had the colors that were markedly different from the RAF colors on the temperate land scheme. The desert scheme colors were identical.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Future Builds”