Another Non-Luftwaffe Subject for Me...

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Another Non-Luftwaffe Subject for Me...

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! I think a little deviation off of Luftwaffe subjects would be a good palette cleanser for me. I've always like the Shiden and Shiden Kai and have heard good things about this kit. Not much in the way of resin is available but I found a Brengun photoetch set for the interior. I've got a few online versions of Japanese books featuring the Shiden. I really wanted this one...

but prices on Amazon and EBay were on the high side since it is out-of-print. $80 and above. I was searching around on Amazon when this book cover came up under a different name and less than $25. I snatched it immediately. Hopefully, it's the right book!

This one probably won't start for a while since I've got three unfinished projects cooking right now.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

If that is what you are after, great find. By the way, the video was very interesting. It is always a somewhat somber (?) moment when vets re-unite with their rides and you can see the memories flood back.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Got the book today! Yup, it's the right one! In very good shape too. The Amazon vendor's name was Kidbiz so I'm thinking they probably weren't too aware of the scale modeling market, which is demanding a very high price for this book. Got lucky on this one!

My initial choice for a subject is this one...

I like the dual-stripe markings of the squadron leader and it is less commonly modeled than the similar 343-15 machine.

This is a pretty cool simulation of Shiden's and Shiden Kai's engaged in battle with Hellcats and Corsairs. Lt. Oshibuchi's aircraft makes an appearance at about 6:25...

https://youtu.be/mmZutqbKw4Y
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Interesting video. Thanks.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Just watched the video. It’s a joy to see a former pilot reunite with his aircraft. I wonder if there are any still in some aircraft graveyard that can be restored to flying condition.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Very few Japanese aircraft were left after the war and the occupation. MacArthur ordered the aircraft and the engineering data destroyed.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Not much photo documentation of Shiden Kai fighters during the war. There seem to be more photos of the earlier N1K1 variants. Luckily, there are FOUR surviving N1K-2J Shiden Kai aircraft left. Three are in the US and one is in Japan. So we have lots of good quality photos of restored aircraft.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Going back to my childhood with my next build...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Are you telling us that you're going to drive down Gundum lane?
:yahoo:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

mostrich wrote:Are you telling us that you're going to drive down Gundum lane?
:yahoo:
A little further back than that, Torben. Back to the 70's. The original giant robot animes created by Go Nagai. His first was Mazinger Z...
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Future Builds”