Old Revell/Monogram 1/48 Mig-21 PF

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stuart
Elite Member

Old Revell/Monogram 1/48 Mig-21 PF

Post by Stuart »

What are your thoughts on the old 1/48 Revell/Monogram PF? Obviously there are better 21's out there but how does this stack up - Does it actually look like it's supposed to?

I found one for less than £10 and wondered if it would make a good quick build.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Re: Old Revell/Monogram 1/48 Mig-21 PF

Post by speedgraflex »

Great reviews online for both the original release and the re-release! Optional wing chords, etc., and correct shape.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

portman wrote:What are your thoughts on the old 1/48 Revell/Monogram PF? Obviously there are better 21's out there but how does this stack up - Does it actually look like it's supposed to?

I found one for less than £10 and wondered if it would make a good quick build.

Cheers!
I built a couple back when they were new releases, and the only game in town for a 1/48 Mig-21. It is originally a pre merger Revell mid to late 70’s molding, and pretty much a simplified and scaled down version of their older 1/32 Mig-21P/PF kit.
I don’t know how it stacks up against good actual scale line drawings, but it will look like a Fishbed once built. The trailing edges on flying surfaces are thick, and the cockpit is overly simplified. Replace the Atoll missiles with some good AIM-9B Sidewinders (the original Atoll was a reverse engineered copy of the B Sidewinder). Depending on which boxing you get, and what finish you want, you may want to look into AM decals.
And yes, there are far better newer tooled Mig-21 P/PF kits out there, Academy and Eduard being better and best respectively. But if you can get one for a good price, why not? It is a simple build that you can have fun with.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the thoughts Carlos, much appreciated. As long as it looks the part that's the main thing. :hmm:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For a price of under £10, that sounds to me as a fair value for this particular kit. I think that it fits your requirements to look like a Fishbed and be a quick simple build.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Carlos!

Return to “Modeling Discussion”