"To go" - rituals ?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: "To go" - rituals ?

Post by Gary Brantley »

Hmmmm...well, I do usually begin with a new #11 blade. :giggles: Maybe two of those bad boys! :grin: (one for each hand?) And I always clear the table of any "last build" remnants, give it a good brushing off, put all of the paint jars and tins back in their places and then start at step one most of the time. I fill up my paint thinner and H2O bottles and put away any stray tools. I keep a pretty good feel for when my CO2 tanks might be running low, and will swap them for full bottles if needed before a new build begins. (nothing like running out of "air" when you press the trigger...) Sometimes, I will also place a new calendar page down on the work table top to give me a nice clean surface. I use old aircraft calendars' pages that I tape down to the table. They provide a nice white surface, along with a handy grid feature.

And then, after all that, I'm over it...all set to go and pooped out and tired of it all! :lol: No, really, usually I begin, of course! :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCYGyg1H56s
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I make a sacrifice to the modelling gods. The size of the sacrifice depends on the kit.

Actually I just clean the bench off and organize things.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I always, open the kit, get the books out and start to add text to the instructions on things I want to correct, change or add. Then research the colours and add those in text in the instructions. That is a part of my "build prep".
ImageImageImageImageImage
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

That's actually a good habit / ritual, to study the instructions with notes etc. Thanks for the tips!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

BorgR3mc0 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:52 am I always, open the kit, get the books out and start to add text to the instructions on things I want to correct, change or add. Then research the colours and add those in text in the instructions. That is a part of my "build prep".
I usually do this everytime.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

I usually do this Neverytime. But I should.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

It is really handy, it will save you time in the long run. For instance, when checking the colours I either convert to the paints I have or I know I have to buy new paints. So that helps to keep the flow in my build.
ImageImageImageImageImage
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I do the same thing as Borg. Especially the colors. I also make notes about anything I'll do differently.
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Ya, these are good habits to get into. I often find myself stalled or slowed due to things I should have seen coming only to have to deal with them later and come up with paints or solutions to issues I could have avoided. It comes from being a thick headed Irishman. Or so I've been told.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”