Elite Member

Re: Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Post by tempestjohnny »

Great finish. :bow:
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I'm a bit late here to congratulate Tom, it does look great. Can't keep of all the GB's everywhere but I keep joining more :headslap:

I added two more to my Tamiya A6M3/3a, a Hasegawa Rufe and A6M2K trainer version. I put the box top photos in my original post on page 2.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

John I have the K trainer and have built the Rufe
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I need to get back on mine. The canopy masking has stopped me dead. For Tamiya, the canopy sucks. It seems to fit okay, but the frame marking are very faint and the masks do not line up very well.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Nice job on your A6M Tom! Tora Tora Tora!
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

My Second Entry For the GB is the Tamiya A6M2-N float plan in 1/48. The Ki-44 has stalled for a little while, but I will be completing it !

Seat's molded in belts were ground off ... Might use the ones I have from a spare PE Set I have...

I went with Tamiya XF-71 for the cockpit. Not sure why, Don't know what color it's supposed to be. Looks to light for Mitsubish cockpits and too dark for Nakajima machines. But, I don't like Mr Color's Nakajima cockpit color... meh...

Cockpit painted

The hole in the gear box for the prop shaft was way off center, so this had to be fixed...

I decided the spinner needed some serious filling and sanding work, so the prop blades needed to come off.
I made a re-attachment jig from some Instand-Mold.

I will add attachment pins to the prop blades with 1/16 rod, so I drilled holes in the spinner to receive them.

Filled problem areas of spinner with sprue-goo to make re-scribing easier (I hope).

Engine painted and washed with Tamiya Panel Liner. Gearbox color was quite a mystery and after consulting Scalemates site for Hasegawa, Tamiya an Eduard instruction sheets (none of which agreed btw -- not even the Tamiya ones), I decided to follow the 1/32 Tamiya A6M2 painting guide which was a 50/50 mix of light grey and light blue...

Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh you’re fixing this build up nicely! As far as the cockpit green goes, I think that Tamiya’s color is supposed to be the Nakajima shade. The Mitsubishi color is closer to US Interior Green in appearance as opposed to how the Nakajima color is more like that of the RAF.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Coming along nicely! Of the last couple of builds of this kit I've seen (including mine), you are the only one to remember to put the weight in the float!
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Gonna jump on my Rufe soon...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Just don’t jump from your Rufe :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Group Builds”