Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest II

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest II

Post by jkim »

Time to start cobbling the cockpit parts together. Here is the floor board with the foot rests and control stick in place.

I've decided to use the decaled instrument panel instead of the photoetch. Detail is noticeably heavier than the PE but this might be a good thing once the panel gets covered by the coaming. The compass has been added, topped off by PE cover as the decal folded onto itself and became unusable.

The seat has been glued onto the bulkhead and the PE harnesses have been added. I've added some random kinks and bends to get rid of that straight-as-ruler look that PE belts often have. I also dirtied them a little by adding a dark wash around the buckles. The delicate tubular sidewalls have been not been glued onto the bulkhead just yet as I'm just checking out fit.

The floor board is now temporarily slide into place.

The cockpit is noticeably smaller than what I am used to working on but very good detail out of the box.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow! That looks really sharp so far John…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looking great John. Nice details.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice work! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Last night, I went a little further and tried to get the instrument panel into place.

A little too much pressure and the starboard side sidewall collapsed.

I managed to get the tubular frame back together with some Tamiya Extra Thin cement. I decided to let the glue cure overnight and then reinforce the broken joints with CA glue the next day.

Thankfully, the repair went well and I was able to proceed with the cockpit assembly without further hiccups.
Last edited by jkim on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Fantastic work as always John. Even in this scale!
Thanks,
John
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Repair....I don't see no stinkin' repair. Looks great, you'd never know you had an issue
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Cracking work as ever John. How're you finding working in 1/48th for a change?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

keavdog wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:04 pm Fantastic work as always John. Even in this scale!
Thank you John! I appreciate it!
tempestjohnny wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:30 am Repair....I don't see no stinkin' repair. Looks great, you'd never know you had an issue
Thanks Johnny! Because of how the part broke, I was able to align the breaks so that the parts fit back together naturally. The plastic reacted very well to spot welding with Tamiya Extra Thin and I played it safe and let it dry overnight. If you look really close in the photos, you can see the glue joints but they will not be visible once the cockpit is closed up within the fuselage as you'll see.
Stuart wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:09 am Cracking work as ever John. How're you finding working in 1/48th for a change?
Thank you Stuart! I am enjoying the change of pace, especially the speed of the build. But I prefer the larger 1/32 scale personally. Bigger is better in my (ageing) eyes.

A few views of the cockpit embedded in each side of the fuselage.

This is just a test fit but you can see how the cockpit starts to disappear once the fuselage halves go together. The view will be further restricted by the top deck piece which includes the coaming over the instrument panel and the turtle deck behind the pilot seat.

Before the fuselage halves are glued together, the radial engine facsimile is painted. Keeping it simple since hardly anything will be seen through the front cowling.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”