Model Mania 2024

Tell us about upcoming shows, contests and events. If you participate and get some recognition, tell us about it! Show pictures are welcome.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Model Mania 2024

Post by Medicman71 »

Went to the show yesterday. Vendors were great. I was head judge for the Sci-Fi category which included Gundam, Star Wars, Etc. I judged everything in that category with the exception of my two entries. We changed to the GSB system (gold, silver, bronze) and it's based on points. I like this system because you're competing against yourself and a standard and not against everyone else in that category. While the system is cool, the judges were very inconsistent. Some were very nice while others were brutal. One sub-category in aircraft for example had a lot of medals while several of the 1/48 scale aircraft sub-categories got hardly any. One of my biggest complaints is when the judges gig you for "inconsistent weathering". WHAT? Because everything in the world weathers exactly the same. One guy had an Israeli F-15I Strike Eagle and he got gigged for that. Really a jet in the desert is going to weather consistently all over the jet.

I entered the AT-ST, a unpainted Gundam (there's a category for that), and the two Super Hornets. I got gold for the AT-ST and bronze for the Gundam. The Super Hornets, well, one got an honorable mention (the worst of the two with a small crack in the canopy) and the other got nothing. :headbang:

Last edited by Medicman71 on Sun May 05, 2024 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Model Mania 2024

Post by Medicman71 »

Here's a link to the show album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBoPwG
Mike

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Congratulations!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Congratulations Mike :shoutout:
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Thanks guys!
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Bravo on the awards!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Congrats on the medals, Mike. I never entered any of my builds at Syrcon because of the unknown attitude from the judges. Some tend to favor certain builders/members than unknown builders. So yeah, the other reason judges can be pretty anal on what’s correct or wrong. Rivet counters…. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Congrats on the bling.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Well done Mike!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Thanks guys!

I'm not really that bent out of shape about the Super Hornets, I just wanted to know how one with a crack and debris on the canopy beats out one that I didn't really have any major flaws (that I could see anyway). But we move on. I did get to meet Rob Booth (was IPMS Secretary) and Cliff Herring (did a Ma.K with Plastic Posse Podcast easter eggs all over it) face to face. I have some really nice guys in our local IPMS so we all had a good time.
Mike

Return to “Shows, Contests and Recogition”