D-Day's 70th Anniversary

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

D-Day's 70th Anniversary

Post by LyleW »

To all who served and were a part of the "Greatest Generation", thank you. How hollow and meaningless that sounds for what you gave and the sacrifices you made. In my family, my mother and father served and met in North Africa. I am not aware of any others in my family that fought in WW II. From the bottom of my heart, Thank You!

If you see a WW II vet, shake their hand, give them a hug, let them know you care. They are dying at an astonishing rate these days.

"D-Day", "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers" - give some depiction of what they may have gone through. it is a horror that I cannot imagine.

To today's veterans, you are appreciated, too. Thank you. I don't think we can say it enough.

Lyle.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: D-Day's 70th Anniversary

Post by Medicman71 »

Couldn't have said it any better Lyle!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Saw this on my travels today. Thought it appropriate for here.

Thank a veteran, buy him (or her) a coffee, they might share a little bit of wisdom with you.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For those of you who do not know, Charles Schultz, the creator of "Peanuts" comic strip was a rifleman in WWII. I once read in an interview with him of all the awards in life that he had recieved, he was most proud of his Combat Infantryman's Badge. After he became famous from Peanuts, he made freinds with that famous WWII cartoonist, Bill Mauldin. In the 1990s on and around June 6 he created some D-Day themed comics starring his world famous Beagle, Snoopy. Seeing how WWII GI's were nicknamed "dogfaces", this seems rather appropriate to me. I cut out a few of them and have them stored somewhere. But fortunately other folks have saved them onto the internet so I will post them here. They usually have "to remember" written upon them.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

It is interesting to see how many "stars", "celebrities" or what ever you may call them served with honor and distinction in WW II. LIke most, they never mentioned it or spoke of it very much. I think my brother has it now, but my mom kept dozens of Bill Mauldin's cartoons and had a book of his as well with the cartoons. I would sit and read them over and over.

I've seen a group build or something like it of Mauldin's cartoons. You had to display the cartoon along with your diorama. Pretty neat idea.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I am in the lucky position (as living here in Belgium) to be able to see all main French TV - channels.
They are broadcasting Live from Normandy today.

Very impressing to watch...

And I must say, if someone can do perfect Live-TV of big happenings, the French can...
It's just the language, don't understand a word of it... :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I'd love to visit the beaches there. Such an incredible feat.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

In 1985, my unit got a new sergeant who became my squad leader. His last unit had been 1st Infantry Division (Forward), The Big Red One, in Germany, where he had taken part in the 40th anniversary at Omaha Beach in 1984. As an Infantryman he said that he stood there and marvelled at how they got off of the beach. The terrain is that favorable for the defender and any trained soldier can recognize it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That it is, Stik. To have that much high ground with completely unobstructed fields of fire onto the beach. Amazing that anyone made it. Those guys deserve all the accolades they get.

Return to “Free Discussion”