AZ Model 1/48 Zlin Z-50 WIP

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keavdog
Elite Member

AZ Model 1/48 Zlin Z-50 WIP

Post by keavdog »

I saw a 1/32 build of this plane in Damaged magazine and did a bit of poking around and found the AZ Model 1/48 version. In the past I flew RC trainers, cubs and acrobatic planes. This one caught my eye. So here's something different. I found after market instrument panel, and canopy masks. The kit comes with a small PE fret and a resin spinner. It's TINY! Looks like 1/72 but it's 1/48. Details for the registration, national markings and stencils are called out in the instructions but the graphics sheet have no instructions so a bit of a crap shoot so we'll see. It's a bare metal finish which I'm pretty comfortable with now using the Alclad products- but there's red paint involved... which I find troublesome so we'll see. After a few camouflaged models (except the T-28B) I wanted to do something shiny. Pulled out a few cars but this little bird intrigues me. So here we go...
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: AZ Model 1/48 Zlin Z-50 WIP

Post by Stuart »

ooooohhhhh very nice to see a light aircraft being built, and a Zlin too! Will be following with interest!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great pick!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:popcorn:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like the little aerobatic stunt planes you see at air shows.... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

It is a stunt plane for sure - google it for some pretty cool videos.

Bit of progress. Alclad dull aluminum interior, bit of cockpit work and got the wing and cowl together. We are in the land of no locating pins so it may get interesting when I go to put everything together. There will be filler here btw but I will say the fit of this kit impressive so far. The canopy was a bit of a mess but I polished it and dipped in future and it looks pretty good now. The AM cockpit panel looks really nice but doesn't line up just right with the kit hood.

Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Love those kit with no pins! So helpful. You seem to have a good handle on this.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

looking good!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Mocked up - lot's of wing and full length ailerons

Thanks,
John
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Now there is something you don’t see often! AZ do not have the best of reputations concerning fit. But this kit looks good.
And the Zlin itself is a wonderful aircraft. In the nineties Team Malev was on the European air show circuit. They flew a four ship programme with the Zlin. They did excellent formations and aerobatics. I saw them quite often. Unfortunately due to financial difficulties this team has disbanded.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”