Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Muzzy

Re: Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

Post by Muzzy »

Making progress. Gave everything a coat of mm enamel light ghost grey this evening.

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy »

Stikpusher wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Take that Disney!!!! LOL!

Don't make those Ewoks angry Disney. You wouldn't like them when they're angry... :lol:
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

oooh, that molded detail looks fantastic!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

the Force is strong with this one....

Great work so far - the painting is superb.

everybody seems to be building this Starwars kits at the moment - I'm missing out!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Muzzy

Post by Muzzy »

Not much new to show on this. I decided to put a bit a white paint into the light ghost grey and hit some of the high points with the airbrush. Don't think I quite lightened up the paint mix enough though. I think I more covered the preshading than added variation in the color. Ah well! Now I know for next time.

I put a gloss coat on it and waiting for that to dry now. I want to try a dot filter with oil paint on this. Haven't tried one before so I painted up a test subject to try it out first:

Also picked up some nice looking ground scatter and grass tufts for the base. I'm resisting the urge to work on it though so I can keep using it as a stand while I paint.

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy »

Started with the dot filter tonight. I practiced a bit on the painted water bottle but still when I got to this point had a bit of panic set in lol:

But I think it came out ok.

Hard to see with just pics from my camera phone but it seems to have come out decent. It broke up the monotone paint scheme a bit more and added some subtle grimey streakiness to it. For colors I used black, white, paynes grey, and a bit of raw umber. Did the whole "head" of the AT-ST. Tomorrow I should have some time to work on the legs and body.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nice and really subtle. Adds a lot of interest.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is looking great! Another idea for you to use for a dot-filter or wash is Mona Lisa Thinner mixed with Windsor Newton Oils. Mona Lisa Thinner is the most inert thinner out there and should not do anything to affect the Bandai plastic. I get mine at Michael's Art Supply stores.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Muzzy

Post by Muzzy »

Thanks Lyle and Duke.

I used some Winsor & Newton Winton oil paint for this along with klean strip odorless mineral spirits over two coats of future. No ill effects on the plastic yet. Thanks for the tip on the Mona Lisa thinner I'll check it out.

When it comes time for a wash I think I'm going to stick to some chalk pastels scrapped and mixed with water and a drop of detergent. Better to be safe than sorry.
Muzzy

Post by Muzzy »

More progress. I used some chalk pastels to make up a dark gray wash. I usually use oil paints and mineral spirits for washes. First time I've tried using chalk pastels but looks like it came out decent.

I sealed it all with a clear coat and while that's drying decided to work on the base.

Once everything dries I plan to add a bit of chipping and some weathering with the pastels and then hit everything with some dullcote. A couple more nights of work and this one should be done.

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”