Revell: Apollo: Columbia & Eagle 1:96

Stikpusher

Re: Revell: Apollo: Columbia & Eagle 1:96

Post by Stikpusher »

KSaarni wrote:Thanks Stik for the pics!

Wonder if different Apollo missions service modules have slightly different nozzles ?? :hmm:

- Kari
Kari, you’re quite welcome!

My understanding of the Apollo craft is that there were production block differences, like on the F-16. So there was “Block 1”, “Block -2”, etc. and that the engine bell design was one of those changes. If I remember correctly, the Revell kit is based off one of the prototype or early blocks, but that none of the actual moon mission craft had that configuration.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I guess that I should set up a photo thread in the reference area here of all of the Apollo hardware photos that I took at Kennedy Space Center last year.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote: My understanding of the Apollo craft is that there were production block differences, like on the F-16. So there was “Block 1”, “Block -2”, etc. and that the engine bell design was one of those changes. If I remember correctly, the Revell kit is based off one of the prototype or early blocks, but that none of the actual moon mission craft had that configuration.
Many thanks Stik, that was really important but also interesting information!
Very much appreciated!

Need to do some more sanding (those rings off) + figure out how to imitate the internal segments. :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote:I guess that I should set up a photo thread in the reference area here of all of the Apollo hardware photos that I took at Kennedy Space Center last year.
Yes please! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’d suggest using strips of foil, brass, or thin styrene to get those internal segments.

And I did a little more research on Apollo Blocks. Block I, as planned, was for unmanned and low earth orbit manned test flights, pretty much Saturn 1B. All the lunar flights were Block II. But due to the Apollo 1 fire and changes made, all manned flights ended up being Block II. And I did find this photo of the Apollo 1 Service Module during pre flight/pre test (and subsequent fire) assembly. As you can see, it has the smoother surface external engine bell.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Stik !

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Almost 50 years later and I’m still in love with the NASA Space Program of that era.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote:Almost 50 years later and I’m still in love with the NASA Space Program of that era.
Me too, me too

Work with the engine nozzle continues...

I had already sprayed the first layer of Mr Surfacer (500) on the engine nozzle...

When I read Stiks comments regarding the engine nozzle type that Revell used as "reference" versus the reality.. :bag:

Was very important information, happy to get that cleared out... therefore the only way forward was to take some action...

The first task of today: Back to school! :headbang:

Based on the pictures, there seems to be roughly 18-20 segments, resulting that one segments size would be between 3,8 and 4,2 mm wide...
And as I happen to have 0,25 mm "thick" Evergreens styrene sheet, I think I will spend measuring and cutting small pieces today...

Let's see what next!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

... except that I think even 0,25 mm styrene is way too thick....
And it does not really easily bend (too narrow), I could of course try to heat up the piece and then try to form it to better ...
BUT, it does not necessarily look correct and definitely not scale accurate... 0,25 mm would equal 24 mm in reality, and that is 2 cm on top of the thickness of the nozzle...

hmm:

I think masking/ Tamiya tape could be a much better way to go forward..

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, strips of tape, thin brass, or foil would solve the thickness and curvature issues.

That math... :wow: looks like the stuff that I spent the first half of this month dealing with... :headslap:

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress”