Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai (Completed)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Re: Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai

Post by dmminiatures »

I didn't even know what I was going to face with all those PE. the whole project was a real experiment for me too. gluing and painting the PEs, including strategizing the sequence of which PE goes first.

This image show one of the techniques of paining the railings. From the inside, I used the traditional paint brush method.

From the outside, i used an airbrush, angled slightly upwards to avoid any unnecessary splatter on the linoeum deck.

Sometimes, I used a piece of paper to block the spray. helping to keep the over spray off any of the other buildings.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Hi Folks - the final details on the Chokai as expected are the addition of the life boats, biplanes, and the rigging.

These lifeboats were painted and dry brushed before they were glued onto the ship

This is the rigging process. I used sprues from the box. I found out that Fujimi's sprues are great. they melt evenly and stretch very well without breaking. I can make very fine strings in my first attemp.

I could have done the rigging better. I should have strategize it in clear sequence so that it is easier for me to work. will do that on my next ship build. I recommend to do the rigging from mid-ship outwards to the bow and stern. I painted the wires with black poster color paint.

Fujimi provides you with three biplanes. they are all clear plastics with lots of fiddly tiny parts. I lost two of the struts (it just flew away when I took them with my pincer) so I had to make one out of stretched sprue. Here are the biplanes after a careful painting using a combination of airbrush and paint brush

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

The final piece of the project is adding the biplanes onto the ship's catapults. Fujimi provided us with the decals and white stripes on the elevators. The cradles and catapults are PE's so I used cyanoacrilate (CA glue) as adhesive.

Monty / dmminiatures
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

Impressive Monty :shocked:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This only gets better!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Thanks guys, well the IJN Chokai is finally completed. I think the only message I have is that I have missed a lot of really cool stuff in ship modeling. What I did on this heavy cruiser is something I could have imagined 20 years ago.

The level of detail that photo-etched (PE) can elevate the final appearance of a 1/700 ship is just beyond stunning. Although PEs are expensive, they are almost becoming mainstream.

I wish i had use a DSLR to capture these images rather than my Samsung. perhaps I could do another photo shoot. The display base is a picture frame I bought at a local photo lab store for $5. I released the backing and took away the original picture. I then replaced it with a $1 dark blue metallic-colored paper. I wish I could do more, but perhaps on another project.

One thing that I learned through this exercise is the importance of strategizing the logic of your build. Like any model, building ships needs a unique approach (like for aircraft you need to do the cockpit first).

Choreograph the building elements like construction, painting, gluing photo-etch, and rigging makes building ships such an enjoyment.

Monty / dmminiatures
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai (Completed)

Post by Thomas_M »

What an exemplary show on how to tackle such a ship build with lots of PE parts! I really enjoy your way to build and to show the major steps in clear pictures and narrating. I just wonder what someone with your skills would do with the 1/350 Prinz Eugen I have in my stash... :shock:

Fantastic work, Monty! Simply wonderful!
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Thomas_M wrote:I just wonder what someone with your skills would do with the 1/350 Prinz Eugen I have in my stash... :shock:

Fantastic work, Monty! Simply wonderful!
Thanks Thomas! This project has inspired me to invest some of my modeling time in ships. I have a partially constructed 1/350 Warspite that is left on the shelf of doom. and i think this is a good moment to revisit the model and complete the project.
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

JimD wrote:Umm...did you actually start this kit when you posted the thread a couple of weeks ago? Because if you did this in two weeks I think it's time to give up....
Thank you, Jim. I went back to the first image that I took at it was dated October 28. so I guess it was completed in four weeks.

for me, this is a record as I have no clue what I was going to expect with all that PE. I leaned now that the PE slows the project significantly. It is estimated that I spent 1 week for the plastic, 2 weeks on the PE, and a week on painting and finishing.

If I hadnt use any PE, i think I could have wrapped up the project in two weeks
Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”