1/72 Scale Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit Review

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Scale Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit Review

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Mark, when I run into the fuselage section step problem, and it's a choice of having the step on the top as opposed to in the bottom due to fit, I opt for having the step on the bottom. People will see more of the top, and and seam filling work along with resulting problems is less visible below. Just a thought.
I would have suggested the same thing - Those are coming along really nicely though, and rest assured I shall be using this build as a reference when I build mine.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Would a small spacer back there to widen the fuselage work?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Mark, when I run into the fuselage section step problem, and it's a choice of having the step on the top as opposed to in the bottom due to fit, I opt for having the step on the bottom. People will see more of the top, and and seam filling work along with resulting problems is less visible below. Just a thought.
Thanks Carlos. That is my thinking as well. It is one option I was considering is there was no way to make any of the openings conform.
LyleW wrote:Would a small spacer back there to widen the fuselage work?

No that wouldn't work but thanks for the thought, It's not width that is the issue, it is height. I'll be experimenting with this to find a way to get the best fit.

On a side note, I found a much older Hasegawa F-14A Tomcat in my stash recently. It does have the wings able to swing so I'll definitely be building that one. I also noticed that that sprues on that older kit had far less flash. I might even start that one soon in my Maddog Manufacturing thread as a comparison build to these newer models.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'll be interested to see what you think of the old Hasegawa kit Mark - It does make me wonder if it'll be a more enjoyable build.

I have the od Airfix kit as well as this Hasegawa - I think I know which one will get built first as I've said before.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I agree. The older Hasegawa kit looks to be easier to build given how many fewer parts it has. Still I don't know how well it will fit together either. It will be an interesting comparison build at that.

Stay tuned, more to come.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Duke Maddog wrote:I agree. The older Hasegawa kit looks to be easier to build given how many fewer parts it has. Still I don't know how well it will fit together either. It will be an interesting comparison build at that.

Good'O!

Does the old kit come with a full load-out?

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

portman wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:I agree. The older Hasegawa kit looks to be easier to build given how many fewer parts it has. Still I don't know how well it will fit together either. It will be an interesting comparison build at that.

Good'O!

Does the old kit come with a full load-out?
If I recall correctly, yes it does. I didn't really look that closely; I was too focused on the ability to swing the wings!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I would roughen up the lower area of the gap and add some Magic Sculp 2K putty. Get this putty close to shape with a wet finger and let dry. Now the not so funny thing next: sanding... Also wet, if possible.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Interesting idea. I do need to pick some of that up. If I don't in time, I'll see what else is possible to do.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Wow!!! Man am I glad I peeked in here!! Whadda show Mark!!!! Will be reading all the way through this one before I post anything else.

Return to “Member Reviews”