AFV Club 1/35 M41A3 Walker Bulldog

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
speedgraflex

Re: AFV Club 1/35 M41A3 Walker Builldog

Post by speedgraflex »

When I realized that I could not make the seam fade away between the two pieces that make up the front part of the drive wheel just by painting and effects, I sanded down the seam and lightly filled the gaps with Mr. White Putty. That did the trick but I think Mr. Surfacer 500 Liquid would make this a lot easier, so I ordered a bottle.

I know I am moving at a turtle’s pace, but I do feel the kit design is for the advanced modeler and its integrity of tooling and fidelity to its source demands more time. At least that is a good rationale.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
kahunaminor
Advanced Member

Post by kahunaminor »

Progress is progress. In the end all those little fiddly things that you took time to rectify will make a better end product.

Regards,
Kent in Oz
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for your support, Kent—means a lot! I noticed the “shmutz” clinging to the outside rim after I took the photo! I cleaned that up with a kneaded eraser.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce, I finally got caught up with this. Excellent work man! I also paint my road wheels the way Carlos does.

You're doing exceptional work Bruce, keep it up!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke!

Duke!

Duke!

Welcome back from the Nats! I saw photos of your “700” gracing many Facebook albums. For sheer chutzpah as a modeler, you my friend are the award winner! Congratulations!

And now I think I will detail the grab holds in brass because the plastic bits have weird rectangular base plates which should not be there.

Actual:

TO BE CONTINUED...
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Re: AFV Club 1/35 M41A3 Walker Bulldog

Post by mostrich »

A small step for you, but a big step for the modeling world.
Bruce, it's a joy to see how you wrap your mind around every single part of the kit. Your dedication is something that I'm trying to absorb.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Bruce for the warm welcome back. Yeah, in a way, I did win something: the knowledge that I did make IPMS USA history. Not that IPMS USA tracks this kind of thing, which means I won't get a mention in any "official" capacity, but seeing people's reactions and hearing what they were saying was a real thrill!

I guess I'm going to have to go seek out these Facebook pages to see what people are saying. Good plan on the grab handles, I'll be watching this.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mostrich wrote:A small step for you, but a big step for the modeling world.
Bruce, it's a joy to see how you wrap your mind around every single part of the kit. Your dedication is something that I'm trying to absorb.
Torben, I am so happy to hear from you, and thank you so much for what you wrote. In fact, your methods have been on my mind a great deal recently; and I hope to see what you are finishing and what projects are next for you, because you blaze an interesting trail, with a healthy sense of perspective as well as the keen sense of a hunter. I was thinking about your goal to build all of the iterations of Fw 190, but mainly I am thinking about your interest in siting each model in an environment which permits contemplation—the amoeba-like swaths of grass underneath your Anton, for example—and look forward to the next arc of your mastery with diorama elements as part of your displays. I wanted to add these images of an incredible maquette by Jim Davidson, all hand sculpted!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke!

I thank you for reading and following along. FB is a good PR tool, too! Go for it!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Wow, that's outstanding. Sculpting is a kind of black magic for me.

Imagine one of the guys on the trunk yelling to the ape: "Stop! You're rolling it"! :giggles:

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”