Revell 1/32 Me 109G from 1990

Paul
Addicted Member

Re: Revell 1/32 Me 109G from 1990

Post by Paul »

Carlos stirred up some fond memories. I had this kit in '69. IIRC it was sort of a desert yellow then.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

My Dad would fish our two bolts of the right diameter, reach for JB Weld and glue those inside the wheel well. The angle adjust is made using the thick JB Weld. Then he would grab metal rod and tap a thread to screw in place. I probably would build the support from pieces of scrap plastic and drill holes. Then Gorilla Epoxy that in place. Proceed with gluing in the existing gear.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:Would you be able to take photos of instructions? Is it possible to add a support piece?
I can post instructions. I’ll try to do it in the morning. On the inside of the wing bottom there are two cradles for the strut pins to rest in. Over the top of the cradles, there is a retainer. It looked to be seared pretty well.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:
My Dad would fish our two bolts of the right diameter, reach for JB Weld and glue those inside the wheel well. The angle adjust is made using the thick JB Weld. Then he would grab metal rod and tap a thread to screw in place. I probably would build the support from pieces of scrap plastic and drill holes. Then Gorilla Epoxy that in place. Proceed with gluing in the existing gear.
Hmmm...another option. IF I can get it back in that cradle, The is CA in its future, that’s for sure. I should have done that to begin with, but, no. The gear was going to be glued in the down position anyway.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

No worries. I could not find the instruction pdf on Scalemates. I did look first. I’m curious because I would like to build the 1/48 Hellcat by Monogram one day - the one with folding wings and I think maybe folding gear too. Have you built it?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I have the instructions scanned in, so easy peasy. Who did the Smithsoniam series? Built that one with an extra kit from Brent. There is a WIP here somewhere.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Step 8 -

What you see in the picture is the starboard end of the part 51 "Landing Gear Brace". The little *, indicating no glue, point nicely to the cradle for the gear struts. So far this morning, I've not found a good way to re-insert that portion of the strut under the brace. I may just chop that part of #51 off and glue/CA the struts in place.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Bruce, PM sent with the PDF you requested.

The part #51 popped off painlessly....I should have not used Tamiya Extra Thin to glue in place. I expected the TET to flow and it didn't. I am also not sure that it ever seated properly...looking at the part, the surface that was to mate with the inside of the wing is in pristine condition. At least I have better access to the cradle...

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Lyle—thanks for the PDF! I read it, and found knowing what is intended very helpful. Are the wings glued top-bottom or is only the fuselage glued? Personally—and I learned this the hard way fitting Aurora’s Moonbus together—I would stick to the script as the actors out here say. Stick to the script and don’t improvise. However if you can no longer stick to the script I stand by creating a a socket for the landing gear. I would be tempted to research metal gear available as this is a 1/32 kit, regardless.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Does this allow for the gear to be moved and locked in either position?
Messerschmitt 109 Addict

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”