Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
lawman56
Advanced Member

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Post by lawman56 »

The only thing left to add, and the most difficult of course, will be the last crewman. The plan is to have him standing in the passenger seat, casually leaning on the tarp over the windshield cover. Again, it's a matter of finding the right combination of torsos and arms. Given my penchant for perfectionism, that might take another month. After that, a little more weathering to tie all the elements together, and a thinned down coat of dull laquer.

Then I can pull what's left of my hair out finishing my Sd.Kfz. 250.

Doc, as Stik, mentioned, these Tamiya half tracks are some of the best combinations of detail and ease of assembly. Even the rubber band style tracks are well engineered. Ironically, building it at the same time as my 250, I have a greater respect for US designers. A box on a truck chassis is brilliantly simple compared to the geometric nightmare of the German stuff! All my detail work aside, this kit could easily be built OOB in a weekend.
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Done! Finally finished my last crewman for the halftrack! Just needs a little minor touch up, dust and grime, then he gets placed.

Joe

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Outch! Man, this clamp must hurt... :giggles:
gino b2
Advanced Member

Post by gino b2 »

very nice work lawman !

gino
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Someone, (I believe it was Jim D), once asked if anyone else does dumb things from time to time. Well, yes. Yes I do. Prime example:

Mounted my last crewman in the M21 and set my white poster board back drop up on the back porch table. I prefer to take my pics outside, since all I use is my phone. Plus the natural lighting gives a better view, but I digress...

I placed the dio in front of the back drop and turned around to pick up my phone. Of course, at that moment, the wind blew the poster board, (up until this exact moment, it had been calm), which pushed against the diorama base and moved it.

Of course, I hear this and turn around just in time to watch the diorama start to slide off the table. In my haste to "save" it, I hit it at an odd angle, which guarantees that it plummets to the deck.

After a few choice "adjectives", I pick up the pieces and survey the damage. Not as bad as I had feared. The box popped off the back of the truck frame, the building broke, and my .50 cal bounced off and across the deck.

I sat down at my bench and started repairs. The box has been glued back onto the frame, the building has been repaired and the .50 cal has been remounted. Aside from a bit of touch up for the building, mostly from where I had to repair it, the rest is fine.

Oh, and I have to replace the .50 cal's ammo can. I have no idea where it flew...
Joe

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh that motherloving wind.... :headslap:
I'm sorry to hear about the mishap, but happy that it was not as bad as it could have been,,,
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

After repairing it, I finally got some pics. Of course, this time I made sure it was further back on the table and the back drop was secured. I left the .50 cal belt loose for now. I still can't find the ammo can, so I may have to make one. It's titled "Vive La France".

Thanks for looking! Now on to finish my Me109 and work on the MiG-3. Not sure if I'll start my Hs-129 or my PBR next.
Joe

gino b2
Advanced Member

Post by gino b2 »

excellent ! glad to hear you saved it from destruction.
gino
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Thanks Gino. I got lucky. This time...
Joe

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”