4x4 MRAP Kinetic 1/35

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: 4x4 MRAP Kinetic 1/35

Post by Thomas_M »

Thank you, Lyle! But, today I chickened out from cutting those masks and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day, having a walk with Heidi, reading and relaxing. Oh, and I ordered Revell´s 1/32 Fw 190 for a nice reduced price at the Big A this afternoon!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thomas_M wrote:Thank you, Lyle! But, today I chickened out from cutting those masks and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day, having a walk with Heidi, reading and relaxing. Oh, and I ordered Revell´s 1/32 Fw 190 for a nice reduced price at the Big A this afternoon!

good for you!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Only one month has passed and here is the next update... Image

The vehicle has now fully covered in Model Color´s 70.819 Iraqi Sand. This colour first did not spray too good, so according a hint from my buddy Olli I thinned the paint up to 1:4 (paint:thinner). Gave a much better and thinner coat on the black base. I especially like the roof of the MRAP where some subtle shadows can be seen.

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Work has also started doing the weapon station on top of the MRAP. Fit was not too positive, but well inside the limits of the kit itself. As with the vehicle here, too, all masks have been done using Tamiya tape. Did Eduard forget to do masks for this kit? Don´t know...

This turret will get some black primer, too, using Gunze Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I could not convince myself to use the kit supplied machine gun. I wonder why so many kit manufacturers have such trouble to replicate an injection moulded piece as this? I didn´t wait and ordered a turned metal barrel set from Jordio Rubio, #32013. I had no idea that this many ultra-tiny parts are given to the turned barrel! There still are two parts, one PE and one turned metal, missing here. Will add later.

Thanks for looking and comments!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is looking really good Thomas - you've done a nice job of the paint!

That .50 cal is looking good too!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Thank you, Stuart!
Took about 4-5 sessions to get the paint job done. But looking at the kit now I am satisfied so far.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is coming along nicely! This is fun to watch.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

What a monstrous vehicle! The black priming pays out especially on single color schemes. A lot of variation is visible after the first layer(s) of paint.

And please, don't let us wait another month until the next update. :bored: :grin:
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Many thanks, my friends! I had the chance to get the turret parts minus the M2 a base coat of Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black this afternoon. Two hours later I also added the Iraqi Sand colour. The parts are now drying on the room heater. Hmm... The smell of Vallejo Iraqi Sand in the evening! :headslap:

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”