LyleW's C-54

Primarily the Revell of Germany C-54 Skymaster in 1/72 scale. But, any c-54 is welcome. Come one, come all.

Date: February 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. But, let's just have some fun and build this classic.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: LyleW's C-54

Post by BlackSheep214 »

keavdog wrote:Hey Lyle - here's what the parts look like on my tree.
Notch on the upper left is where N158 attaches

And the notch on the upper left on the gear

And the hole where the rod part of the Y part goes in.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I think the rod goes in on the other side.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I am eager to get the fresh parts and see what happened. I do think I'm closing in on the answer, though. As dumb as it sounds, this has been weighing on my mind for a while. I think the answer may be below...
1. The notch in the center of the strut is to hold the squared off section of part N156 - or so it looks in step 24. Notice the placement arrow.
2. If you look closely at step 25 in the red arrow and the bold 24 - that part N156 is pretty much flat against the strut N153. There is a small square piece you can see in step 24 just underneath the letter E. I believe that is what fits in that notch. That would give the extra length needed to fit that rod properly. Again, looking at step 25 closely, the cylinder that juts out seems to be on the left side of the part. Clear, huh?

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

At this point I'd be doing it wheels up on a stand!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Believe me, that thought has come into play. I soaked part of the nosegear in some debonder and got it apart. I'll do some experimenting with it in the next day or two probably with white glue.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I asked Revell GmbH about my thought. They seem to disagree. Oh well. Perhaps I either cut or broke a bit of the end off of part 156. They wanted to know if 154 and 155 are installed correctly. I think so, but...…………

Anyway, likely back to square one. I've asked if they have any pictures of this assembly. Frustreating.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Send it to me... I'll assemble it for ya! :lashed:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, but I think I need to whup this one.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Take this as my opinion only, but the illustrator took into account the reorientation of the part first and depicts the part in Step 24 reoriented to stand upright. Essentially a tripod is being completed. The third leg of the tripod, which is the part in question, is shown too simplistically as being a straight tube and not angled, while attention is meant to be directed to attaching the part (central landing gear?) to the other legs of the tripod itself.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Found this illustration from legendsintheirowntime.com. Seems to support part of my thoughts anyway. You will need to tap the image to open it in post image. Looking at some Spruefest shots that I’ve found online show a longer protrusion on that part. I guess the replacement parts will tell.

Return to “C-54 Skymaster”