Do 335 1/48 Monogram

"Fighters of the Reich," which will include ALL aircraft served and designed (missed production, aka Luft 46) of the Luftwaffe during WWII.
mustang1989

Re: Do 335 1/48 Monogram

Post by mustang1989 »

I'm there with you on the masking Jimmy. So far I really suck at canopy masking without the pre cut stuff. I have a BV-141 in the stash and that thing is a BEAR to mask off without pre-cuts. Hobbyboss looks like they are releasing a 141 in 1/48 scale so I may end up buying that kit just to be able to purchase a pre-cut mask set for their green house! Nobody offers much for the the ol' Hi PM kit that I have.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I was expecting the masks to arrive on Friday or Saturday, but they did not. Dangnabbit. So, I went ahead and painted the first color on the upper surface. OOPS. Like a baseball game, runs, drips and errors! I'll likely be sanding some of this out and either re-doing it or putting the second color over it. It will be 70/71 on the upper surface. Since that is what I had, this one will be a pre-1944 birdie.

Ahh, a little Dvorak "New World Symphony" - love that piece.

The airbrush and I are still 'bonding' as it were. that and my light wasn't too good given the proximity to the window with the morning sun yesterday.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Looking sweet Lyle. I always liked the Arrow. I hear these ran like the dickens and nothing the allies had could touch it.

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

It's Lyle looking good!

And not only good, but also BIG ! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Some updates...discovered tape pulls off paint! Normally, I wait, but this morning I put another coat of the black-green and waited a bit..maybe an hour or so. then masked and puton the dark green. I think I see the start of some weathering! I don't like these two colors together, but I am not about to repaint them. So there.

Can't even see the difference.

I want to finish it up for the GB. . . and I'm getting tired of it being on the bench. I am not a patient person.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What brands of tape and paint are you using? Tapes with high tack and certain acrylics are a bad combination I have found. Tamiya masking tape has probably the lowest tack out there and yet it will still pull Testors acrylics off of bare plastic. Regular 3M masking tape, even the blue stuff is even tougher on it. And the generic stuff, that will often leave residue. The only masking stuff than I have used so far that is more "gentle" on the surface below is Parafilm M. And that stuff has its own challenges due to its' stretch and flexibility qualities.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Using the rattle can Lyle? I think if you back up some or dont stay to long on one spot that should eliminate that. As for the green thing, I hardly see much contrast as well so I would thing you may need to check out those colors again. Dunklegrun and schwartzgrun may be the colors. I hope Thomas doesnt get angry at me emaciating Deuch
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I have the Tamiya tape, but this time I used the 3M Blue painters tape. It was wider.No rattle cans. None of our hobby shops carry anything like that. They have all the hard to fine colors, like Black, White, Silver.....Forget anything military.

The RLM 70 Schwarzgrun was MM, so I guess you get to keep some of the money, Jim. The RLM71 DunkelGrun was Mr. Color. The MM is what pulled up. It was still uncured enough that I was able to (for me, anyway) wet a brush with some thinned paint and blend it in pretty well. They were not big spots.

The colors simply are too close together and there is virtually no contrast. I may have been a bit too far away on the RLM 70, as there is an every so slight grain to the finish. The color contrast sucks, though, as this is to date, the best finish I've achieved with the a/b.

Moving on, though.

Return to “Fighters of the Reich GB”