1/1 Spring project

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/1 Spring project

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Mmmm... venison!! My bro-in-law promised he'd give me some venison and/or jerky every year, I'm still waiting. :bored:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Hunting has been...well...sucky!
Had a doe with 2 little ones hitting my bird feeder in the night, and saw 1 nice buck on 2 occasions, also in the middle of the night.
I believe the momma doe got shot/roadkill(???), haven't seen her since mid Oct(same for the buck)...but her 2 little ones were still coming in.
In the woods, I saw the 2 on 2 occasions, one of which they walked right under me, one of them even brushed her side along the ladder of my treestand! That's CLOSE!!!! Being just yearlings, I let them go on about their business. 2 weeks ago, I found one of them about 30 yards from my treestand...coyotes got her :headslap:

Last Tuesday...had a new deer show up...so I took him.

Just a "spike", but had a decent size body and not a yearling.

Had the dehydrator ready to fire up yesterday morning, and just as I was ready to load up the meat...power went out. So, guess the jerky has to wait.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Been a little while...and it aint Spring, but whatever!

A few weeks back, I started a job for my favorite customers. They are in their 80's and just good people to be around and do work for.
This was at their lake house, about an hour away. Not a bad drive...but I can't handle two hours a day for commuting. I stayed there and was well fed, and had my laundry done every night! Good thing, it was so hot/humid, I changed work clothes 3 times a day!
Miserable work, if I'm being truthful!

Before...

All materials were dropped off at the road...in front of the house. All materials had to be brought around....nothing beats handling tons of materials several times...especially when the heat index is near, at, and above 100F.
Everything was done by hand. The only "saving grace", was that he had a JOhn Deere "gator" for bringing materials around. Beats a wheel barrow!

The end result...

75' long...20' from bottom to top. Block are 18L x 12W x 8H...77lbs each.
In the better part of 2 weeks...I lost 15 lbs!

On to the next.
Started a big job last week. Crack filling and sealcoating between the "low rent" hangers at my airport.
80,000+ sq ft and a few miles of cracks to fill...

There's 2 sections like this one...

The two ends are a little smaller, and newer, so nowhere near as much crack filling.

Again, last week was HOT AF. Along the edges of the hangers was lots of grass/weeds that had to be pulled by hand...lots of SUCK...working/sweating my @$$ off while watching everybody else get to go fly :headslap:
I have my "get through winter" money stashed...so this paycheck will easily pay for me to get current again, and partake in some flying fun!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That's some really nice work!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful work Jeremy! I know they appreciate that very much.

Yeah, fixing/patching asphalt can be a real drag. Still, it's work. Enjoy the cockpit when you get there again.

By the way, is that a Super Frelon in the last pic?
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

S-61L, I think, Mark.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Yes...not sure about the "L"...but it is an S-61 (civilian HH-3 SeaKing)

"Construction Helicopters" is based at my airport. When they first moved out here (from Willow Run), they were operating old S-58's. Then they got a Super Puma...the 58's went away...and I have no idea where the Puma went.

They got a Chinook (Army NG) (haven't seen that one for a while either)

The only things I see with any regularity, anymore...is the 61's. The one in the pic isn't theirs...it's being used to train/transition pilots to the 61.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

That's some tidy mason work, Jeremy. When the beds are planted the wall will perfectly blend into the area.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Do those folks in their 80s climb up and down that slope?
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks for the information on the helicopter. Good to know. Man, that must be fun working there and seeing all these aircraft.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Free Discussion”