What's on your work bench atm ?

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: What's on your work bench atm ?

Post by KSaarni »

Stuart wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:17 am That seems to be the way of the world now, we all obviously want as much detail as possible in our 1/72 single engine fighters, even though hardly any of it will be seen once the canopy is on! My new tool Spitfire is just as bad. Two decals for the IP does seen a bit over the top though.

Arma Hurricanes are supposed to be good, although I made a complete hash of mine - I installed the gear bay back to front (or upside down) and the legs didn't go together properly. :headslap:
I had to struggle quite much to get the fuselage closed, if it was not the IP that did not really fit, then the the seat etc. I left out even out some parts from the cockpit.
And I am not at all surprised of the mishap you had, the instructions are not that good, even if they look so.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:50 am
LyleW wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:55 am This is on the bench.. Some of the worst instructions, molding that I’ve seen. Oh and no, zip, zero, nada numbering on sprues or the goofy map on the bottom of the box. Sheesh. There is some faint numbers on the chassis cross members so you get the upper/lower pieces right.
Sooooooo, a kit to avoid then?
Not really, at least at this point. I’ll post a few pics tomorrow. There are small bits on the motor that I couldn’t find on either the “map” or the sprues. The chrome wouldn’t come off with bleach. Haven’t tried other means. It does seem to build up okay…so far.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ah cool, so just a :quotes: challenge :quotes: then!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

It is that some of the small parts look like blobs. If I could not locate it, I just cut a nib of spru and used that.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Kyle, the engine is an 855 Cummins, the big oil cooler would suggest it is a 350 or 400 horsepower version. Why they have the water manifold attached to the rocker arm cover is a mystery to me. The "filter" next to it is just an oil breather with a mesh screen inside and it does belong on the rocker arm cover. I suggest going fast while you build it and paint it Cummins Beige!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, John. My engines will likely never pass muster with those in the know. All that damn chrome plating is horrible. Adds nothing. It is already a beige, probably not the Cummins shade, but it is what Tractor Supply had!

Lyle
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

LyleW wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:31 am

Thanks, John. My engines will likely never pass muster with those in the know. All that damn chrome plating is horrible. Adds nothing. It is already a beige, probably not the Cummins shade, but it is what Tractor Supply had!

Lyle
https://www.seymourpaint.com/product/en ... d_source=1

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, John…looks like Cummins got it wrong. :giggles:

What I used is way too light. Back to the paint locker.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Uh… once you have the cab over the engine, who’s gonna notice the color? :bored: :hmm:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

jeaton01 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:01 pm
LyleW wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:31 am

Lyle
https://www.seymourpaint.com/product/en ... d_source=1

I went back over it with Tamiya XF-46 Khaki - Much closer. I don't feel iike driving 20 miles to a truck parts outlet to get more paint!

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”