Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4***COMPLETED***

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:It must be just me throwing strikes and gutters but I’m still thinking about Red Bush as well as Black Base Bush, apologies. The Dude must abide nonetheless. It’s Friday. It’s June 1st. Time is flying... or in this case rolling.

When you paint, are you going to use a low psi with the olive gelb?
You’re not the only one thinking about those... :whistle:

And yes, time is flying... or marching on and a seemingly ever slowly increasing pace. Even though THAT is not actually possible, only our perception of the pace... :hmm: Yup, June, the year is nearly half over now and this one along with my Vampire are creeping towards the finish line.
Seeing how the black basing is something totally new to me (and I refuse to scour You Tube for videos on how folks do this sort of thing) I think low psi on the airbrush is a good idea. Especially since I plan to thin the paint more than I normally would. This is certainly a learning event for me.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I took a sampling of Youtube’s offerings before joining SPAM and I still want those hours back. Having a good online series of videos should benefit modelers, but... instead there are desk top static videos where either music plays or someone narrates... and I would usually turn off the audio since both were difficult audio to understand... I would appreciate a simple video where there is an introduction to the project by the maker—put a face to the voice—and personally I would choose no soundtrack and good commentary instead.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The professional ones are good to watch. I’ve seen a few at AMPS & IPMS and they were very well done. But everyone and anyone with a smart phone can make and post their own videos, so one has to sort thru a LOT of chaff to find the actual grains. I just don’t have that kind of free time. I’ll be my own crash test dummy. :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

In my opinion the best sum-up of all the aspects of black basing. Explained on airplanes though, but most of it can be adopted for armor:
https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/tech ... ck-basing/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That is pretty much what I had an idea to do. Not so much the marbling, but just the thinned paint over the black base. I’m gonna have to look for the black Mr Surfacer at Brookhurst on my next visit if I like how this turns out.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for the information, Torben!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, here it is, my first attempt at black basing. For a single color scheme I really like how it looks. I may not do any camo on this one after all now... :hmm:

In direct sunlight, the effect is very apparent.

Anyways, I used the AK Real Colors Oliv Gelb thinned with Tamiya thinner at a 1 part paint to 2 parts thinner ratio. Over the black base, the color took on the nice dark shade that I was hoping for. The feedback that I had been told about AK Reak Color paints being “gritty” in finish is true. I don’t know if that is how it goes on over bare plastic, or if perhaps it is related to the Tamiya black paint thinned with Lacquer thinner underneath. But in any case, it is a very flat and gritty finish. We shall see what happens when I get a gloss coat on for decals.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

:shoutout:

Edit—I was at lunch with my girl when I saw this post so I sneakily replied with simple hand clapping emoji but DAY-AM SAM or WOW CARLOS! You knocked this out of the park!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Bruce. Here are a couple photos taken in direct sunlight this morning to give a better look at how the color appears

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That is one great looking kitty! Congratulations!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”