Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101B

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Re: Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101B

Post by Stikpusher »

Hers a good one from the thread of the flight line

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Here's an interesting 101. It's an EF-101B on loan to Canada. There was only one made. It used the electronic jamming suite from the EB-57E.

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That black F-101 has to be one of sexiest looking Voodoos ever to exist.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

That would be a hard plane to model. Surface prep would have to be perfect of the gloss black would show any imperfection. Way beyond my pay grade.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you for this incredible thread! Sprue shots! Photos of aircraft! I was hunting around for a 1/32 F-101 just because (always good to dream)! Imagine the size! Anyway, there is a company called Combat with a website still running who makes a vac-form version! Talk about above the pay grade... I have never wrestled with vac-form parts....

:hmm:

http://combatmodels.us/
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Vacuforms are not too difficult. I built a KC-135 vacuform back when that was the only way to get one. They are just more “basic” in terms of materials.

FLSM
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

I'm well into the 101B and so far I'm very satisfied with the fit. Reviews of the Kitty Hawk 101A/C were mostly critical of the fit. The wing to fuselage joint is quite tight and probably won't require any putty. I ran into one problem. The canopy is really nice and clear and also very thin and fragile. I managed to break mine in half front to rear while I was masking it so if you build one of these kits be very careful with the canopy. I could not find a way to get in touch with Kitty Hawk so I've ordered another kit. US mail order companies are getting approx $70 + shipping. I got mine from Sincere Model for $52 shipped. Kitty Hawk supposedly has a web site www.kittyhawkmodel.com but is brings up some car selling web site.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”