Maddog Manufacturing Production for 2019

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Production for 2019

Post by Medicman71 »

Dang you build a ton! Nice! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Duke is on a roll... :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wowser. I was able to mount a hook on my garbage can to hang the dust pan. not in the same league. :shoutout:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Bruce! Your replies are always a joy to read. However, I have no Dragon trucks going now. If you are referring to the two big Russian tractors, those are actually Takom kits. The Wrecker is IBG and the other trucks are ACE.

As to your question about why some kits are 1/76 scale, Portman explained that. Back in the day when HO scale in the US was set at 1/87 scale; the British had already had established HO scale as 1/76 scale. Therefore, when the US scale was established, the British added the /OO to their HO scale to indicate it is bigger than the US HO scale. Airfix at the time did all their armor in 1/76 scale so that it would fit on British train layouts. They even labeled their earliest releases as HO/OO scale. I'm not certain why the rest of the armor manufacturers went with 1/72 scale, but they did. Ever since they did, 1/72 scale has been the dominate Braille Scale. I've got the 745 armor models as proof! LOL!

Thanks Portman! I'm really happy with the way the SA-6 is turning out too.

Thanks Medic! I've really had quite the mojo boost for building armor lately.

Thanks Blacksheep, I hope it lasts awhile too.

Lyle, I'm sure that is the best hung hook in all of Kentucky! You got this man! :shoutout:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, I’d put forward two reasons as to why 1/72 became dominant as opposed to 1/76. But these are strictly guesses on my part. 1, the scale breakdown- 1 actual inch equaling 72 scale inches or 6 scale feet makes more sense for an easy measurement using the imperial measuring system. If I remember correctly, that would be on the old six sided architect scales for industrial arts drawing/drafting. 1 actual inch equaling 76 scale inches or or 6 feet and 4 scale inches is sort of oddball; Just like some other scales such as 1/24, 1/32, 1/48, 1/96, and 1/144 are natural breakdowns for traditional imperial measuring scales using inches. Scales like 1/25, 1/30, 1/35, 1/50, and 1/100 are more suited to metric based measurements.
and 2, aircraft models were widely produced in 1/72, why not make a common scale to include both as you have latched onto. I don’t think that I’ve come across any 1/76 scale aircraft kits. Perhaps there are some older “box scale” aircraft kits that measure out to 1/76, but I don’t recall any off the top of my head.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Carlos, that is excellent reasoning and makes pure sense. I never considered the measurement aspect of this but now that I see it so well explained; I believe you nailed that perfectly. As for the matching scale in aircraft, yes, I believe that was also a contributing factor and I for one am thrilled. It does feel great placing a 1/72 scale vehicle next to a 1/72 scale aircraft and see the relation in size. I do know of only one aircraft ever molded in 1/76 scale: it is a Ford Tri-motor, possibly put out by Revell; which means it might have been a Matchbox re-box. There may be others, but I only know of that one. After all I built one before.

Thanks again for that awesome explanation.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, after a very busy weekend, I finally have a small update to post, Here's my latest.

I started out working on some of my simpler kits but that was after I clearcoated these two tractors for decals:

Then I got started on the SA2 SAM system again. I assembled the stand for the launcher body first:

After that, I sanded and refined the launcher body halves in preparation for assembling the whole thing:

I then completed the blast shield for this:

Finally I installed the missile on the launcher arm:

After some consideration, I think I might have screwed that up, since this will make it much harder to paint. Oh well, what's done is done and I'll just have to deal with it then.

Moving on, I decided to start another simpler kit. This is the ACE Syria Hell Cannons.

I assembled the shorter barrel first:

Then I did the longer barrel. Here it is next to the short one:

I then completed most of the 'carriage of the larger gun:

That's where I stopped on that.

I then started on the Nagmachon but only got the lower hull assembled:

I set that aside to dry before moving on. Besides, I was distracted by the Centauro. I'd wanted one for so long I just had to start it. Naturally, I started on the lower hull:

Afterward, I finished off the top of the hull:

I then got the basic turret assembled:

Finally, here is a shot of the hull and turret together:

I'm loving this!

And that brings up to the close of this short update. I hope to have more posted soon. I'm really fired up about getting further progress on all these plus what I was working on before.

Stay tuned people, more to come. Thanks for looking in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! Glad to see you still following this.

Save some popcorn for me! LOL!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow.. you’re a busy guy! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Modeling Discussion”