Trimaster FW190A8

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Trimaster FW190A8

Post by Floki »

KennyX wrote:Clint! Nice work with the insignias and the camouflage bro! Very nice work and great finish! Also- I think your chipping is just fine and not overdone in my opinion. I was looking forward to seeing what you’d do with this and you sure didn’t disappoint!
I just checked the gloss coat to see how it was coming, I think after more weathering it will blend together nicely.
BlackSheep214 wrote:Frog tape is the best. Can't find yellow frog tape anywhere. The green frog tape I find at most places. I wonder if they did away with the yellow Frog tape. It's very similar to Tamiya yellow tape.
I haven't been able to find the yellow around here for awhile now, I haven't thought to check Amazon for it until now
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

speedgraflex wrote:Happy Good Friday! Lovely camo. There are a lot of stages to achieving the camo and you did it! I found a photo of Pips Priller and the top painted section of his canopy has hard weathering that matches your chipping perfectly, if you want to add that to what you are doing that will pull things together visually as well as make sense and is accurate for a battle hardened A-8, too!

Apologies for the low resolution photo, but I think adding the canopy chipping with Prismacolor pencils or your preferred method would work really well.

Regarding the chipped edge of the wing above the weapons, I see that as an area you may want to test out a “reduction,” first masking everything surrounding it off and do a soft edge friskette from an old envelope to protect the darker camo then add a few light coats until the chips blend out. I stress “may want” because I know that you completed the camo stage already but the area that has the heaviest chipping is on the lighter color closest to the fuselage. Again I would defer to Ken who thought the camo looked just right and chalk this up to Friday ramblings by me. I also wonder what would happen if you mixed a light grey wash with watercolors or oils and cut the silver sheen down a bit? I went looking for examples of the most battleworn A-8s I could find, the Eastern Front aircraft that were hammered by the elements as well as heavy usage, and could find no real heavily chipped armament areas.

Maybe others have better ideas or would be able to refute what I wrote... it’s just a feeling that comes from a first impression.
Thank you Bruce! I think as of right now I'm going to see how it goes with the rest of the weathering. My favorite way to chip as of right now is to take a small piece of foam dip it in Model Masters steel, dab most of it off then lightly add to places. wanting to try more experiments with hairspray. This AK Real Color paint is by far the nicest spraying paint I have ever used. I'm using AKs own thinner at a ratio of 1:2 (paint:thinner)
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Anyone know a good mix using Tamiya paint for RLM24?
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Worked on the decals most of the night, they are very nice and will be ordering more from EagleCals in the future. The only thing I didn't like was the overlay of the blue 9 over the white.
This is after three coats of MicroSol again great decals.
I'm getting some wierd reflection off the clear coat with the camera no flash.
Thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

EagleCals are my choice for pretty much any Hasegawa kit, they are pleasure to use for sure. You are making great strides on this. Nice job on the subtle camo lines! Looking forward to seeing this one come togther
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Clint, Decals look great! I was going to ask about trimming carrier film around Decals. Is that just no longer done any more? That used to be one surefire way at least with straight lines to remove the cut out effects. I have used a lot of aftermarket garage kit decals that are too thin to survive the Microsolve and Microset process and my best option was to try cutting closer to the image itself.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I always love the point when the markings go on. That is when you know that the finish line is near.
Looking great there Clint! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks guys I'm happy with the way she's turning out. Bruce on some decals yes I try to cut as close as possible but the carrier film on the eaglecals is thin and not much extra to them.
Carlos, she's getting close now I'm gonna hold off making a base for her until I make the base for my next project the king tiger. I need my miter saw to do it and right now my brother in law is borrowing it, I could use my table saw but my wife doesn't like it when I run it in the basement.
Odin's sons... Attack!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for explaining, Clint. I have a few EagleCals sets just never used them. I remember think the 1/48 Dora set was going to be troublesome. When you wrote about the Blue 6 did you mean you thought it did not settle down enough in the opening around the hatch? Your work looks great!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Eagle Cals are usually very good quality. I've used a ton of their sheets since they do ALOT of Luftwaffe birds. I don't like the doubling up of color on white decals but I think it is a necessary balance between color integrity and thin-ness of the decals.

The markings look very good!

Are you looking for a blue paint to match the decals? It looks lighter than RLM24 but Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue might be a good start to match the blue on the decal sheet.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”