1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Post by speedgraflex »

I have a 1/72 BF 109K4 of 12./JG27 (Blue 16 + I) unbuilt from Fine Molds and my research that I will reference here—and if I see anything that is pertinent I will add here.

I will follow along with you. You already addressed the fuse shape issue. I think overall Hasegawa’s fuse is quite good with the exception of its canopy flatness—you already have a plan to redo this, I think—or is it a detail worth the fix itself?

The roll bar behind the pilot which attaches to the canopy mechanism looks a little too beefy to me, but that is definitely being picayune on my part. To me visually the diameter is a little over half the height of the canopy frame, as it sits in a recess to serve as the canopy opening-closing mechanism.

Here is a drawing that shows the mechanism and attachment points as well:

The rest of that cockpit looks incredible! I agree with you about painting the resin to have an overall consistent starting point. I did this on Black 13 because the seat was blue plastic and the resin was dirty gray so the contrast needed to be eliminated before the color coats went down. I just hit that seat with primer to give it a better balance with the other elements.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:bored: Oh look. A resin pit that actually fits. Go figure.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

More great info Bruce thanks for sharing.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am excited to see a K-4 here in 1/32!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

speedgraflex wrote:I am excited to see a K-4 here in 1/32!!
:P1:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Gee wiz. The harness is just kinda bolted on there, isn’t it :giggles: :giggles: clearly these fighters are from a time long before we Nerf’d everything!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The prelim work for the resin is always worth doing nice and slow. So that's why I started on it first.
Thomas_M wrote:John, sorry for having given you a wrong name! I am this done after a long day at work, and I am over 50! :bag:

Man, really, I wished I could give you a hug, or a beer, whatever you prefer, for this great explanation! That is what I so much love about our hobby, and the people who come together to share some tricks!

These days I am trying to get the chrome off from parts of a 1931 Cadillac by Jo-Han. Slowly, but it works. But be assured, I did spend the reamining brain cell to store the information and inspiration you gave here!
Not at all Thomas! It happens all the time due to my screen name looking a lot like Jim. I'm appreciate your comments and wish you luck on the chrome removal. Using household cleaning solutions?
speedgraflex wrote:I have a 1/72 BF 109K4 of 12./JG27 (Blue 16 + I) unbuilt from Fine Molds and my research that I will reference here—and if I see anything that is pertinent I will add here.

I will follow along with you. You already addressed the fuse shape issue. I think overall Hasegawa’s fuse is quite good with the exception of its canopy flatness—you already have a plan to redo this, I think—or is it a detail worth the fix itself?

The roll bar behind the pilot which attaches to the canopy mechanism looks a little too beefy to me, but that is definitely being picayune on my part. To me visually the diameter is a little over half the height of the canopy frame, as it sits in a recess to serve as the canopy opening-closing mechanism.

Here is a drawing that shows the mechanism and attachment points as well:

The rest of that cockpit looks incredible! I agree with you about painting the resin to have an overall consistent starting point. I did this on Black 13 because the seat was blue plastic and the resin was dirty gray so the contrast needed to be eliminated before the color coats went down. I just hit that seat with primer to give it a better balance with the other elements.
Thanks so much for the input Bruce! Blue 16 is an interesting bird and I think I have some information on it that I can share with you when the time comes. The fuselage issue can be handled a couple of ways. My ideal route is to use the RB Productions brass-framed canopy, which should have the correct profile on top. The instructions for the canopy mention the erroneous flatness of the Hasegawa fuselage and include a cross-section to help you correct it. The canopy is also meant to be movable using simple pin/hole joints but I'm skeptical on how well this will work, especially with the wire restraint system that is shown in your photos. I don't mind the bar part being a little overscale and I'm not planning on shaving it down significantly at this point.

That photo is GREAT... VERY helpful,but tell me, do you know if that is a K-4? The shape of the hatch cover behind the pilot is the exact same shape that the kit provides. However, the photos of K-4's that I've seen show a different shaped hatch. The proximity of the loop antenna and the aerial mast on top of the canopy indicates that it might not be a K-4?

Medicman71 wrote::bored: Oh look. A resin pit that actually fits. Go figure.
This is always a cause for CELEBRATION! I love when resin parts play nice. The only real challenge was getting the casting block off the wide floor piece. These shallow but wide blocks are always a pain. My saw couldn't get all the way across in one direction so I had to make four separate cuts and work toward the middle... took a long time and cramped up my fingers pretty bad.

KennyX wrote:Image

Gee wiz. The harness is just kinda bolted on there, isn’t it :giggles: :giggles: clearly these fighters are from a time long before we Nerf’d everything!
And looking at this photo again, I can see that the bar in my photo was place upside down. It will be corrected when I install it permanently!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

You’re right, John. Is that the E-Series canopy? I will have to check out where that image came from, and if I find out I will let you know. Thank you! I’m excited to see the Radu canopy! I think if anyone can make the canopy hinge open and close it is you, though. Super!

Overall canopy developments:

K-4 production line:

I also have what I believe are K-4 cockpit photos:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Bruce! That's a neat production line photo! But I don't think those are K's. Can't be a K because of the middle opening canopies. Not E-series or prior because of the spinner. So either F's or G's. Absence of circular fuel hatch under the cockpit points to a G.

And also... I'm not sure those are K-4 cockpits. The starboard side of the K-4 pit was dominated by a larger circuit breaker panel. You can see it on the resin sidewall and the photo below.

I believe the K-4 came with a bomb control panel hanging from the center bottom (#51).

But those photos are still helpful. The throttle lever is missing from my resin side panel so your photos will help me replace it.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Apologies, John! You are correct, and that was a great assessment of the canopy type on your part. That is greatly appreciated, as well as the sidewall photo with the O2 system! Wow, that looks like it was a photo for the manual. What great details you found!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”