Airfix 1/72nd Mosquito Mk VI

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: Airfix 1/72nd Mosquito Mk VI

Post by speedgraflex »

Exquisite work so far. Sincerely. Sorry to learn an earlier model had been lost. I’m scrambling to preserve scraps of my childhood at the moment so I can relate to being gutted. You do outstanding work, sir!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bish, mine didn't survive as well, I'm pretty bummed about that too. There were about 9 models that didn't survive my childhood, so I'm quite grateful I did manage to save so many.

Looking forward to seeing more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys.

Mine didn't survive first contact with a future ex wife back in 2003. I went home to pick up some things to find my built model collection piled up in the garden. About 12 years worth of building. I am not sure how, but 6 did survive and i still have those.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

So here are the final pics of the Mossie, first just the aircraft. As you can see, i left it clean ashide from the exhaust staining. BOAC only operated these for a short time before having the undersides re-painted black, so i just left it looking new.

When i saw this decal sheet on Hannants, it was the frist time i had ever come across these military aircraft operated by BOAC, seems to be a forgotten part of the war. The companies role was to keep the UK in touch with her Colonies, Allies and neutral nations. This often involved flying close to enemy territory, and those aircraft flying to neutral contries of course had to be un-armed and maned by civilian crews. One of these routes was between Scotland and Sweden. This of course involved flying between German held Norway and Denmark, a task that became more tricky after the Germans deployed Fw 190's. In 1942, BOAC asked for faster aircraft and recieved a single Mosquito Mk IV in Dec 1942. In early 43 they recieved a further 6 aircraft, this time Mk VI's, painted in an over water scheme at BOAC's request. In August, the 5 remaining aircraft (one had crashed and been written off earlier that month) had the undersids painted black. In 1944, a further 3 Mk VI's were delivered with the undersides already in black.

These aircraft carried diplomatic items, cargo such as ball bearings and passangers in a modified bomb bay, with a mattress installed and in flight service consisting of a flask of tea.

One such passenger was a Danish physicist Niels Bohr. It seems that Mr Bohr didn't filly understanded the instructions on donning his oxygen mask. Durying the flight, the pilot could get no response from his cargo and, guessing what had happened, dropped to a lower altitude, saving his life. It is claimed that on landing, Niels claimed it was the best sleep he ever had. He went on to join the British team working on the Manhatten Project.

BOAC operated these routes until the end of the war and continue as a company until 1974. It was merged with BEA to form the UK's current flag carrier, British Airways.

I have not added any figures, just the aircraft awaiting its next flight to Sweden.

I really enjoyed giving a different look to this old kit, thanks for following along.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bish,

If you feel up to it, PM or email your original image file so I may add this to the FB page... no pressure.

Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Will do, thanks.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is a superb looking build of that old classic kit Bish - very nice work! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Hot damn that’s a strong finish! Nice work bish!!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Well done Bish!

Great to see a non-military example of the Mossy!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bish, that is another fantastic build! And thank you for the detailed explanation as to this particular most unique sub type. There is a small bit of information on them in an Osprey book in my library. But not nearly quite as informative as the background which you thoughtfully provided here. Thank you, and another very well done sir!

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”