Karis Spitfires

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Karis Spitfires

Post by KSaarni »

Instead of focusing on my Spitfires, I went to see parts of the Atlantic wall on the Belgium coast. Was totally blown off by what I saw.. Practically totally intact, in original conditions, German bunkers and tunnels along the coast side.
I will later in the week try to put up some pictures of what I saw.

But in the museum shop, I found this... Did not thing twice to buy it... :grin:
( it's a Mk. I or Mk. II )

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I believe that the Belgian Coastal areas are where the Spitfire first saw combat with the Me 109 during the May 1940 Blitzkrieg. So a Mk.I makes sense.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:grin: Very cool Kari!

The Atlantic wall was very impressive - but thankfully wasn't impenetrable!

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Some areas were far more formidable than others. And I understand the need to achieve tactical and strategic surprise for the landings, primarily to isolate the invasion areas from reinforcements. But I do wonder what would have happened had some of the later PTO amphibious techniques been employed. Extended ship to shore precision bombardments, and putting the troops ashore in Amtracks to reduce their exposure to defensive fires between the waterline and the sea wall, especially on the more open beaches.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

KSaarni wrote:Instead of focusing on my Spitfires, I went to see parts of the Atlantic wall on the Belgium coast. Was totally blown off by what I saw.. Practically totally intact, in original conditions, German bunkers and tunnels along the coast side.
I will later in the week try to put up some pictures of what I saw.

But in the museum shop, I found this... Did not thing twice to buy it... :grin:
( it's a Mk. I or Mk. II )

- Kari
Nice! I would have done the same thing myself.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote: Some areas were far more formidable than others. And I understand the need to achieve tactical and strategic surprise for the landings, primarily to isolate the invasion areas from reinforcements. But I do wonder what would have happened had some of the later PTO amphibious techniques been employed. Extended ship to shore precision bombardments, and putting the troops ashore in Amtracks to reduce their exposure to defensive fires between the waterline and the sea wall, especially on the more open beaches.
Indeed, the place we visited in Raversyde on the west coast of Belgium was formidable. Perhaps not with the BIG guns and bunkers as in Normandy, but still impressing. While walking in the tunnels connecting the bunkers, for a second one could imagine we were back in 1943 or so

It's German name during the war was "Saltzwedel-neu"

And the reason most of the battery complex is still in so "mint" condition can be read below (from one of many information tables)

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That makes perfect sense. These buildings take a lot more effort to destroy that you would think. The parliamentarians had the same issue with all the castles after the English civil war - they destroyed a few but it proved to be so expensive to do that they gave up.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes those coastal defense structures are incredibly strong. In Honolulu there is an old one on Waikiki Beach, among all the high fish hotels. Battery Randolph of Fort Derussy was built as a 14” gun position covering that area of the O’ahu shoreline prior to WWI. After WWII it was disarmed and slated for demolition. But demolition by explosives would have leveled much of the surrounding area, and by jackhammers and wrecking ball too expensive and time consuming. So it still stands today and is now a museum. Visiting that place used to be one of my favorite things to do during our summer vacations to Hawaii when I was a youngster. When I wasn’t in the water or on the beach...

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Wow, I had no idea Hawaii was fortified! Thanks for this lesson, Carlos!

Heidi and me have been at Pointe du Hoc in Normandy. Seeing all those craters so long after the war, and reading about what has happened me, was hard to get in my brain. It´s so... unbelievable for someone who only knew peacetime.
https://www.elitereaders.com/pointe-du- ... ers-cliff/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Yes, Normandy is really a place with so much to see! I spent there 2 full days back in 2004, 15 years ago but still remember like it was yesterday. Also paying attention to those craters!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”