He-162 Volksjäger

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: He-162 Volksjäger

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:I am here too! I’m high as a kite though so I can’t read your intro until tomorrow, okay???
Ground control to Major Tom.... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Can't wait to see the builds.

Looks like someone got into your meds Lyle!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Got a few subassemblies waiting for primer just waiting for the CA to fully cure before going any farther. The plan was to build both of these kits at the same time, it's just not for me I like to focus my attention to one project at a time and I just couldn't. Maybe if it was the same kit, but this Cyber Hobby kit is so far behind the tamiya. So I will only be building the Tamiya kit then going back and picking the Cyber hobby kit up once it is finished.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Got some work done in the cockpit and will be closing her up soon. I don't like PE placards because they are always to thick for scale, I usually use Airscale decal placards but don't have any that would work for this build. Speaking of PE if I use it I like to just use the Eduard Zoom line but I don't think they made a Zoom offering for this kit, about 70% of this PE kit is the option to open up a weapons compartment I won't be doing that so most of this will go to waste. I'm thinking of closing the canopy on this build just to hide the flatness of the PE some, but the PE is better then the few bumps that Tamiya had. Also if your building this kit don't forget to open up the holes in the back wall, Tamiya only has two of the four represented by a slight impression.
I added the wire going to the control stick and the yellow wiring running on top of the gun tubes. It must have been deafening in this cockpit when them 20mm was firing. The best thing from the PE set I would say is the IP (forgot to show) and the oxygen valve (blue piece) that Tamiya just represented as a hollow circle.
One more thing to show, kits never capture the look of the Revi gunsight well and the PE option is not what I would call great. The Revi 16B being front and center on this build I wan't to get a nice one. This Quickboost set comes with 6 and was only $5

Thanks for looking in!
Skol!
Odin's sons... Attack!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Terrific work! That is looking really good.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The cockpit looks great! The PE and wiring that you put in there add just the right amount of color and visual interest.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Clint, Exquisite work! Would you be able to detail your steps painting the seat headrest? Your work is utterly convincing at scale too! Since I’m heavily considering a WWI subject I thought I would be busting out the oil paints to recreate the interior. I wouldn’t mind the whole deal, how you approach painting a cockpit, to be honest. Skol!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Lyle and Carlos!

Bruce thank you, I would be happy to tell you my process. It differs from build to build depending on cockpit color. The He-162 was practically brand new still when they was handed over to the allies, so from the start I knew I wasn't going to go crazy on the weathering. To start I added and modified for PE later the kit pieces to the side walls and the gun tubes as well. I modified the back wall cutting off the solid ejector seat rails and added the PE rails also opened up the holes in the back wall that Tamiya just represented as shallow divots. After that I used my new rivet tool and added rivets to the back wall using my references as a guide. Everything was then wiped down with 91% isopropyl and left to dry. Next they was hit with Tamiya primer and a light sanding with 2000grit to knock down any imperfections I seen. Next I sprayed Tamiya German Grey to at a ratio of 4drops paint to 6 drops thinner. This was gradually built up with thin coats. After this dried for a day I hit places on the floor and the seat with some light chipping using that packing sponge material with Tamiya medium grey. The color PE was added next along with my wiring to the control stick. Tamiya made the back cushion a separate piece that made painting it a lot easier. It and the headrest was first painted a base of Vallejo Leather Brown using my wet pallet. Vallejo orange brown diluted a big more was stippeled onto them using a old wild bristled brush. The leather brown had a few more drops of water added to it and about three thin coats was painted over the orange brown. For a more wore out look let the orange brown show through more and also highlight edges and seams with it as well.
Then a coat of acrylic gloss clear was sprayed over all parts. Since I didn't want to show much wear I just added a Mig dark pin wash to make some of the details pop. If wanted to show dirt on such a dark color I would go with a tan or light grey wash.
This was left to dry for a few days to make sure the enamel wash was all gassed out. Then sprayed with Mr. Super clear flat UV cut.
I added the rear wall and seat assembly to the right side of the aircraft along with the wheel well control stick assembly and dry fitted the left side while the glue dried to make sure it all lined up right.

I'll be happy to answer any more of your questions Bruce, always happy to help
Skol!
Odin's sons... Attack!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I copied and pasted your entire reply in my reference library. Thank you so much, Clint! Now I’m going to try everything I can on my painting mule cockpit which is a 1/32 Trumpeter Me 109 G-10. I will let you know when I start, but I definitely want to try your specific cocktails so to speak heh heh on a project where I am not going to feel badly if I screw up! Hah. Wow, I wish I knew about your use of sponges for chipping. Excellent idea as well.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Your welcome Bruce, the type used for packing and also used on them cheap foam paint brushes work the best for chipping
Odin's sons... Attack!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”