1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14 Hartmann

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14 Hartmann

Post by speedgraflex »

Good luck, John. I was thinking maybe you could try an increased curing time to reduce the instability, perhaps, but you know best. I have faith. Have a nice weekend.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Luck is good to have and I'll probably need some before this one is through.

Here's a sample of the paint repairs that I'm performing at various locations. Since this one runs into a hard-edged marking, there are more steps involved.

First I remove the compromised white paint layer with tacky tape. Honestly, if I were to really try, I could probably remove most of the upper fuselage paint this way but I don't want to start completely over. Understanding that there are no more adhesive masks to be applied in this area, I TRY to constrain the removals to a small area. The area is scrubbed with Micromesh to reduce the hard edges of the chips.

The darker base color is sprayed onto the repair area. I am using the lighter RLM 75 color because this shade sprays smoother than the RLM 74.

The white is then sprayed over the RLM 74.

Once this is dry, I mask off the black chevron. I can also cut another mask using the Silhouette Portrait but the Oramask is very tacky and I'm afraid of lifting more paint so I choose to use Tamiya yellow tape for this.

One area repaired! There is a bit of black overspray above the chevron that I need to take care of but it looks good otherwise.

In addition to paint repairing various areas, I want to get the black tulip around the nose as well. I know that the extensive masking required for the tulip will probably lift more paint but I'm hoping for the best.

After spraying the black, I removed the tape as carefully as possible.

A bit of paint lifting on the engine cowling but thankfully, it is well away from the black tulip.

Better results than expected, paint lifting-wise. I'll let this dry completely before I perform the touch-ups necessary.

Look at that spot on the port wing.

Like I said, two steps forward, one step back...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

John, very impressive repair work! Well done.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Your repair work is fantastic! It's just too bad you have so much to repair it can be really discouraging.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Not too discouraged. Just something that happens and since I know WHY it happened, I can't really get mad at it.

Some paint repairs have been made including the one by the black tulip and the one on the port wing. Other areas have popped up but they are getting smaller and less.

Popped the painted spinner onto the front to give us an idea of where we are headed.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Work on the G-14 continues! The decals have been applied. I've tried to avoid the Hasegawa decals as much as I can since they are a bit thickish. Luckily, I have lots spares from the multiple Revell 109G-6 and G-10 kits that I've built and also some Eaglecals as well.

After the decals, the model is given another light gloss coat and then a pastel wash using a brown color.

John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I've performed a little bit of post-shading on the G-14...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Beautiful weathering. You're capturing the look of a aircraft operating in cold weather and muddy conditions perfectly.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

And there you have it! It looks as if there were never any problems to start with. That turned out truly remarkable John.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

John, I say great recovery too. I quit using Oramask almost entirely, just using it once in a while for non critical things. Tamiya makes sheets of their masking tape and I cut that in my vinyl cutter, also a Cameo. The Tamiya part number is 87130**500. Each pack has 5 sheets of 7 X 9.5. Oramask shrinks over time, the adhesive is not near as good as the Tamiya product, and I also had a reaction with a clear coat that put me nearly back to step one on a wing. Grrr. Mostly use it for R/C stuff now.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”