How to get out of a funk.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

How to get out of a funk.

Post by scorpiomikey »

I keep walking past my office and looking at my phantom sitting there on the bench, waiting to have something done on it.
I haven't touched it in a month, possibly more.
Last year i didn't complete anything. I thought it was stress from moving to start with, but then i started to realise maybe its just me in a funk.
I enjoy hanging round the forums, i enjoy watching people build stuff, i enjoy seeing the final product, but when it comes to sitting down and doing something...
Its reached the point where i sat down the other day at my workbench, and decided doing laundry was the better idea.

Any suggestions of what i can do to get out of this funk im in?
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Paul
Addicted Member

Re: How to get out of a funk.

Post by Paul »

Nope I have no idea, I have been steadily at the bench since Christmas five years ago and yes I do get rather complacent in my building.at times. I now only choose subjects that I want to build and I don't get stuck on one single build at a time. I take time to take a break every 40 minutes or so and try not to have the "gotta get this done" attitude.

Open something else that strikes you fancy, buy a new gizmo or tool, it don't have to be expensive just something that you would like to try out on a kit. Maybe a vignette or a small dio.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You really can't force yourself to get back into the groove. It has to flow from within. But perhaps if you sideline that project, find a "quick simple" one that strikes your whim at the moment you might feel it flow. I often find a Tamiya kit is good for "recharging my modeling batteries".
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ninetalis

Post by Ninetalis »

Yep, I agree with Stikpusher.

Sideline this project, take something easy with a easy paint job, like a hasegawa Hellcat in a one color paint shame. Or a tamiya kit in one color.

When you finish that you feel satisfied and you probably want to build something new, that how it is with me anyway.

With regards, Ninetalis.

Check out my new Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/Ninetalis/
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Post by AIRFIXER »

No need to worry, it's just a phase many of us have gone through every then and now.
Just take your time - you're the boss.
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Post by DoogsATX »

I find picking a kit I can just put my head down and bowl right through generally works well. Also something I don't know much about, so any itches about accuracy or detail aren't even noticed. Nothing slows down a build like getting struck by AMS syndrome.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Ive started with putting the phantom to one side and do a full cleanup and stock take of everything on my bench.
Hopefully once this is done ill have the motivation to fill the gaps with plastic.
My mum is off to aussie at the end of the week and im trying to con a kit out of her while shes over there (im 28, if i can get my parents to buy me stuff, i will, im not ashamed of that lol)
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

DoogsATX wrote:I find picking a kit I can just put my head down and bowl right through generally works well. Also something I don't know much about, so any itches about accuracy or detail aren't even noticed. Nothing slows down a build like getting struck by AMS syndrome.
Was gonna say the same thing!
I do find myself enjoying the build part of subjects that I have little to no knowledge of....no need to correct any problems that you don't know even exist!
That said...
I'd recommend a simple 1/72 fighter..something cheap-ish, from Academy or new airfix.....or something else you may have in the stash that is a different subject than what you normally do.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Fermis wrote:
DoogsATX wrote:I find picking a kit I can just put my head down and bowl right through generally works well. Also something I don't know much about, so any itches about accuracy or detail aren't even noticed. Nothing slows down a build like getting struck by AMS syndrome.
Was gonna say the same thing!
I do find myself enjoying the build part of subjects that I have little to no knowledge of....no need to correct any problems that you don't know even exist!
That said...
I'd recommend a simple 1/72 fighter..something cheap-ish, from Academy or new airfix.....or something else you may have in the stash that is a different subject than what you normally do.
It has its possibilitys. I have the 48 scale airfix spit in my stash, but i have plans for that, which i need to buy new decals for, which i cant afford just yet because im getting a resin engine for my 109 at the same time because i stuffed the old one up. (i need to get it all at the same time to bring my order over 20 GBP from hannants)

Might have a look at the LHS this weekend and see if i cant spot something that tickles my fancy.
Although, i also have a revell dauntless in the stash with RNZAF markings, might have a crack at that and see if i can make any progress.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”