1/48 Tamiya Mosquito NFII, 307 Squadron RAF

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito NFII, 307 Squadron RAF

Post by scorpiomikey »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Bookmarked the links. Will come in handy for sure!!

I know in the UK, they have restored (or rebulilding) a Mossie. FlyPast magazine had articles about that and is currently airworthy. Here's a the link of articles from FlyPast magazine:

https://flypast.keypublishing.com/?s=mosquito&submit=Go

I love buying this magazine! It's a must read for all!!
Will either be RL249 or RS700. Both being restored in the UK to flightworthy status.
Avspecs is currently restoring DZ524 and has restored KA114, TV959 and PZ474

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _Mosquitos
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
jeff

Post by jeff »

There is a slight mistake about RS 700, she is being restored in Nanton Alberta, that is true, but she will be a GROUND running aircraft, and won't be restored to air worthy status, no matter how bad we would like it to be... sadly.... but she is a beauty and the restoration is booming along, BUT RS 700 may not be a candidate for a build as she has Two Stage Merlins, ............. check out our website for current info on her...
http://www.calgarymosquitosociety.com/home.htm

Cheers
Jeff
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

There is/was a pretty good walk-a-round of a Mossie by Kermit Weeks. There are three in this and one or two others.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Great images Bruce. I never had truly noted the differences between the Mossie fighter and bomber versions control yoke/stick and windscreen. But seeing them here in these images, they are plain as day and make perfect sense.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Lyle thanks for the video link
Bruce you are awsome! You even found a great view of the NF radar and how it's wired up. Thank you so much.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Nice to see another RAF build being done! Always loved the Mossie.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Stuart.

So I haven't got as much done on this as I would have liked in the time I've been working on it.
Two things are strange in this build. First of all step one does not start in the cockpit. I'm not sure if I have ever built a aircraft that didn't start in the cockpit.
Second thing is the cockpit and fuselage are two different assemblies that Tamiya want's you to assemble separate then add together.

So I did decide to start at step one the engine/landing gear bays so I can get them tacked together then come back a bit later to work on the seams then add the bit of PE from the Eduard set.

Next I looked at the cockpit and fuselage. First here is that each side had 6 ejector pin marks that needed cleaned up I know at least two of them would of been hidden under panels to be added but I got rid of all of them. My guess the reason why Tamiya designed the two different assemblies this way is so they can just swap out the cockpit from the kit for different versions, from fighter, bomber, recon etc. I decided the best way instead of building both separate then add them together is to add the cockpit sides to each fuselage side. Tamiya did a good job having the break be on a panel line and they friction fit very well. So I taped everything together and got everything lined up perfectly. Then from the inside added liquid glue.
That's all I got for now.
Thanks for looking in. SKOL!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

What kind of crazy kit DOESN'T start in the cockpit??? Tamiya does have a tendency to buck tradition at times. The one piece main landing gear on the Spitfire, for example, caused me to raise an eyebrow.

Progress looks good!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Interesting engineering on this kit... :hmm: Of course this kit should go together easily so you’ll have it looking like a Mossie soon.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”