Eduard 1/48 Fw 190D-9 Late

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Eduard 1/48 Fw 190D-9 Late

Post by Floki »

Got the wings and cowl on today. The only spots I had trouble with was the gun covers on the wings. I don't know why some companys make it harder to have bays closed rather than open. If I knew it was going to be a headache I would have opened them.
I've also got the tail and the PE hinges on the gun covers today as well.
Thanks for looking in!
Edit* I also had to add a piece of sprue to spread the rear of the fuselage to get a better fit with the wings.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Look great Clint! I've read that the fit of those cannon covers is a common complaint of this kit and the previous gen 190A kits from Eduard.

You could say that AK Real Colors offering a blue shade of RLM 83 is technically correct but I didn't think it was the best move considering that most modelers and references connect RLM 83 to a Dark Green shade. I thought they should at least offer a Green version of RLM 83.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Floki wrote:You don't have to go out of your way to do that Lyle. I got a good handle on what RLM 83 should be and Vallejo is a good match. My only problem is that I can't thin Vallejo down as much as I can Tamiya and AK Real Colors.
I'm with you on the Vallejo paint. I love how it lays down nice and smooth but it does tend to clog up in the AB.

On a side note: Several years back I was able to get my hands ahold of two Badger 200 airbrushes for $25 each brand new from Michaels. Killer deal that I'll go into more detail about in a bit. When one airbrush clogs up I just switch out to my other freshly clean airbrush real quick with the quick disconnect fittings that I've got and keep going. Makes the whole process a little quicker.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I got a lot of painting done tonight. Lots of paint and lots of masking.
After a coat of Tamiya grey primer I used Tamiya Nato Black and went over the panel lines then added random patterns over the aircraft with it.
AK Real Color RLM 76 Late was then thinned out at around 1part paint: 2parts thinner
using blue tac, Tamiya tape and yellow Frog tape I masked off some areas and sprayed AK Real Color RLM 81 with a few drops of Tamiya German grey mixed in since it looked to me if the paint was too brown.
Vallejo Model Air RLM82 was thinned down with Vallejo thinner at around 1:1 paint:thinner just one small spot behind the cockpit was painted with this.
I then got out my Maketar masks, they are cheaper than Montex but a lot harder to use since they are kabuki tape. I used them for the top wing crosses. Tamiya Flat White was mixed up at around 1:2 and sprayed the crosses and the area for the ID band.
The engine section was masked off and Vallejo Model Air RLM83 was mixed and sprayed. I didn't have any problems using Vallejo Model Air this time of course I didn't use much in the paint cup at a time so maybe that's the trick to using it.
The white for the ID band was masked off and AK Real Color RLM04 sprayed.
No photo of the underneath side but the RLM76 and RLM81 was masked and Alclad Duraluminum was used for the bare metal. After the Alcald has cured I will get the Maketar masks back out and paint the under wing crosses and the fuselage ones as well. I wish I had a way to cut my own masks since I know I can easily mask and paint the "l" but 6 will be a lot harder to try to cut out a mask myself.
Thanks for looking in
SKOL!
Odin's sons... Attack!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Those colors are lookin' sharp. Really sharp!!! I haven't tried my hand at masking off the wing crosses as of yet but it looks to have a great result. Keep 'er comin' Clint. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Excellent. I've been really interested in painting some insignia lately
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That looks great! Sharp, like Joe said...I like the insignia, too. Guys, if I can paint insignia, you can. Get a mule out and have at it.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent progress Clint! The topside camo scheme is unusual... :hmm: and all that masking is sure paying off! Super work on those markings :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you all for stopping by. Using the maketar masks for the crosses is a bit of a headache. I would recommend getting montex vinal masks they are easier to place. I would like to get one of them portrait cutters to make my own.
Carlos the camo seems to be a bit strange to me as well. I haven't done many late war subjects John's help with telling me about the green late war RLM76 helped a lot. With out that knowledge I would have went with the blue. Also working off the color profile it says the engine was changed out but was never repainted and left in 83/76 as supplied by Junkers.
Odin's sons... Attack!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The paint looks excellent, Clint! Don't worry about it looking strange... it will come together once the markings start to get added. It may have looked even odder in person. There is a possibility that the power egg was painted in the more traditional blue 76 as well as the lighter color on the wings. But that's the fun of these late war schemes... lots of variation and interpretation and not enough references to say any one of them is wrong.

Definitely consider getting a Silhouette Portrait. The Oramask 810 masking material is translucent, making it much easier to place the markings.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”