Laird-Turner Meteor Lindgerg 1/32

Post your completed aircraft here.
LyleW
Admin

Laird-Turner Meteor Lindgerg 1/32

Post by LyleW »

After the fiasco with the Gee Bee (and i plan on getting another and building one), I needed a completion. Had this one and it looked like a winner to me.

From the National Air and Space Museum,

"Following his first Thompson Trophy victory in 1934, famed racing pilot Roscoe Turner contracted with the Lawrence W. Brown Aircraft Company to build a new racing aircraft. Designed by Turner and engineered by University of Minnesota professor Howard Barlow, the Turner racer was completed in mid-1936. Following flight tests, Matty Laird extensively redesigned the aircraft and added a larger wing and flaps.

Known as the Laird Turner LTR-14 and later the Turner RT-14, the modified racer placed third in the 1937 Thompson Trophy event at the National Air Races and won the 1938 and 1939 contests. With this aircraft, Turner became the only three-time winner of the Thompson Trophy. In 1939 the aircraft was sponsored by Champion Spark Plugs and therefore carried the name "Miss Champion" on its fuselage."

Same basic design as the Gee Bee kit in that it had the three piece fuselage - two halves and the top hood piece. Same flat engine, flimsy prop, etc. The plastic seemed to be not as soft as the Gee Bee, but was not as hard as other kits.

This is about 3-4 days. I assembled the fuselage in steps using Tamiya Extra Thin, a little CA and some Testor's red tube. Cleaned up what i could and discovered that those "fluteed" sides with the exaggerated longerons is just about impossible to fill as needed even with Mr. Dissolved Putty.

Wing fit was so-so, but okay. Those moveable control surfaces suck, though. As a kid, i would "ooh" and "ahh" at those features. Now I don't much care for them. When attaching the gear struts, much to my surprise, there was no slot on the port side, so out came the drill and knife. Managed to get it cut and the strut installed. Nice that the fairing they moulded in covers the slots.

I was hoping to get a few pictures outside while the sun was out this morning.. Rain is moving in and it will be that way into Sunday. Two to four inches of rain possible. Too late, though. Really dark clouds have moved in.

Did not mess with the cockpit much.

Paint: primed with Duplicolor Gray, Humbrol Metalic Aluminum #56 in a rattle can, and some Acrylic Clear Gloss.

Decals: Upper wing markings were cut and painted. The rest are kit decals. The markings on the prop were not included. Found some, scanned them, used the Silhouette cutter to cut tiny ellipses from white paper and then scanned and trimmed out the Hamilton Standard logo. Turned out okay.

This is the example that is in the NASM:

And, finally, here is the completed model. Yea, one more done.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Laird-Turner Meteor Lindgerg 1/32

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I vaguely remember seeing that at the National Air & Space Museum in DC back in the early 80s. Never knew a kit existed of that aircraft.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Score one for the good guys! Yay Lyle! It’s always feels good to finish something! And if it comes out looking good like here, it feels even better!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I vaguely remember seeing that at the National Air & Space Museum in DC back in the early 80s. Never knew a kit existed of that aircraft.
Thank you. Has some nice lines, huh?
Stikpusher wrote::shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Score one for the good guys! Yay Lyle! It’s always feels good to finish something! And if it comes out looking good like here, it feels even better!
As with any build, there are flaws, but i am happy with this. The longerons on the sides are hideous, but nothing much I could do about them. Way, way out of scale and proportion when compared to the museum piece. Appreciate the kind words.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Well done, Lyle!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, John.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Lyle!! It looks great!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Mike. It was good to get something finished!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looks great Lyle!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you, Clint.

Return to “Completed Builds”