You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out Kid

Guns, knives, bows, weapons in general.

NO Politics, None of the stuff we don't allow in other areas. Be nixe.
LyleW
Admin

Re: You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out Kid

Post by LyleW »

Clint,
I do. But, Bersa added an extension to the trigger guard and we cannot find a holster for it.[
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I have 4 handguns
A black powder .44 Philadelphia Derringer my brother bought me when I was 14 or so. It was a kit so firing it for the first time was fun. Back then I used real black powder not pyrodex and man, four shots out of that and the little valley we were in on the American river was filled with smoke. Super fun
I bought a Glock 19 for home defense - 9mm. Not my favorite.
That led me to the Sig P226 navy. Nice pistol, double action - doesn't have the wrist snap the Glock ( maybe I should have got the 17) has mostly due to the heft so fast recovery, manageable recoil. And it's one of the weapons the seals use ( there's a little white anchor on the slide)
My last handgun is a .38 revolver I got from a dude that claimed it was used in the Spanish civil war. Looks like a smith & wesson 10-5 knock off. It was pretty fun to shoot, but we found out the cylinder had some slop it it and tiny bits of lead were getting shaved off and flying out between the cylinder and the barrel. I literally shot my friend - just a scratch. We put that away and haven't fired it since.

For long guns I mentioned my first rifle - the Sears single shot bolt action .22. What a great rifle, very nice sights and as said, cheap as dirt to shoot.

My second rifle is a Marlin tube fed (17 shot I think) .22 Nice shooting rifle.

About 10 years ago I bought a Springfield M1A .308 synth stock. I prefer wood but they were scarce so I grabbed it. Fun to shoot, but a bit expensive.
Lastly is, like Lyle, a shotgun for home defense. I bought the Mossberg 590 12 gauge. It will hold 8+1 so I can miss a few times :giggles:
Thanks,
John
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Stuart wrote:Well despite my comment in the previous thread about the differing mindest, obviously after a lifetime interest in the military and military history I like guns - I'm just not allowed to own them, well, not the sort I'd like to own at any rate. :bag:

I've only ever owned a .177 break barrel type air rifle - I swapped it for a walkman back in the late 80's. My friend didn't want it anymore as the butt had split. Thankfully my uncle was a carpenter and was able to fix it. We had quite a long garden and I set up a range - I was a reasonable shot over iron sights.

I've never actually shot a firearm, but if I could have a handgun I'd like an old WW1 vintage Webley service revolver - just for the historic interest. Likewise it'd be cool to have a WWII vintage .303 Lee Enfield bolt action.
I thought you could own one in England it was just a very hard process. Is only bow hunting allowed now? If you ever find yourself in the states look me up will go out to my family's farm and burn through a few hundred rounds

John wow how long has it been since sears sold rifles?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

keavdog wrote:
My second rifle is a Marlin tube fed (17 shot I think) .22 Nice shooting rifle.
Model 60?
I got the later, shorter tube...14 rounds if I chamber one.
It took a few hundred rounds, but it is a tack driver...headshots on chipmunks out to 75 yards without any trouble!

And speaking of Sears guns.
My FiL had a 30/30 lever that he ordered from Sears when he was 15. He just mailed in the ad clip, cash and return address.
It was supposed to come to me, but when he passed, his siblings raided his house like damn vultures. I did already have possession of his Marlin 30.06 though.
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

I like it,I don't own guns but don't have any problem with anyone having them or discussing them.

People today just like to get outraged over anything
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I agree. Too much political correctness with these folks that find these discussions “too offensive” to discuss. It’s sad to see what these types of people and parents are teaching and instilling in the minds of young kids today.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I learned to shoot on a Sears rifle. A 7 shot bolt action .22 LR, that I still have today. My dad took me to a range when I was 9 or 10. I wonder if that range still exists today. Most of the ones I used to visit back then are long gone.

Stuart, if you ever make it out here to Arizona, I have both a Webley Revolver and a No.4 Enfield, and you’re welcome to have a try with both. Although I must admit that I need to take the Webley to a gunsmith for thorough exam, as it is quite worn and I’ve never fired it. Don’t have any ammo for it, nor the half moon clips for those rounds either. But the Enfield, oh that’s a nice shooting rifle. Kicks like a mule and I’ve put a few hundred rounds through it over the years.

As far as favorite pistols goes. Well I do remember firing a Browning High Power that a friend owned long ago, and absolutely loved the way that one felt when shooting. An absolute piece of art. But I will say that my Beretta 92 is also a superb pistol. Maybe not the best one out there, but I carried one for almost 30 years, have fired thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and I am quite comfortable with its’ handling and accuracy. I bought my duty weapon when I retired last year. We are old friends :wink:

I’ve fired others that I like, own some others, and still would like to acquire a few other pistols to properly round out my collection.

Tom, I will suggest that you visit a range sometime where you can rent their firearms and try some out. It can be a lot of fun to go shoot and have a range day every so often. It can be addicting.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, I don't own any firearms, except for a .22 rifle that my friend Gregory Park left with me when he sold his house and moved to Korea. I haven't fired it or anything; in fact, I'm not quite sure where it is stored right now.

I was trained to fire a .22 rifle by my father who trained me on his gun. While he was in college, he was on the Georgetown rifle team where he won the National title. He showed me how to shoot on that very gun that he won with. Unfortunately, we didn't have any ammunition so I couldn't actually shoot it.

Some time back my friend Harmon Ward took me shooting at a range in the SoCal mountains. He brought his over/under shotgun that was his grandfather's gun. You'd never know it was so old; it was in pristine mint condition! We brought twelve boxes of shells and bought two cases of clay pigeons. Overall it was a great day for me, but not so much with Harmon: I hit about 92% of the pigeons lofted, he hit only about 15%. One of the other shooters there had his three young sons there and they were firing a variety of rifles, shotguns and pistols. They offered Harmon and I a chance to fire some of their guns too, so I got to shoot an old Colt model 1911 .45 pistol and a 9mm pistol. What fun!

Before that, while I was in college in the early eighties; I took a summer job reenacting an 1827 soldier in the US Army at Fort Snelling in Minnesota. While there I got to shoot a .69 caliber 1809 Springfield Musket. I shot them numerous times every day as we always had marching and shooting demonstrations. To this day, I still remember the Manual of Arms from 1827. As an aside, I also got to fire some replicas of Napoleonic 6 pound cannons and a 12 pound Bombard. That puppy could set off car alarms in the parking lot... and it did all the time!

The Fourth of July was the best day at Fort Snelling though, except for the requirement to wear the full dress uniform of 1/4" thick wool jacket. Still, we had all forty of us there and boy did we look good marching around! It was also a serious thrill when all forty muskets fired at the same time. At noon, we had a firing demonstration with all three 6-pound guns and the Bombard. After firing all cannons one by one, we did a Time on Target all firing at once. Wow, what a blast! Even though everyone watching was far enough away, some of them were still knocked down by the shockwave.

One last thing about Fort Snelling. They are a museum with a truckload of very valuable artifacts, so they always had armed guards patrolling the place. The exception back then was when we had our orientation for the job. We were all stripped of non-period possessions and given a couple uniforms, a musket and accoutrements and assigned beds in the bunkhouses. For three days and two nights we lived, cooked, ate, shot and paraded as if we were actual soldiers in 1827. During that time one platoon each night was required to serve Guard duty in the guard shack at night. I was in the platoon assigned on the first night. Two hours on, four hours off and we had to sleep in full uniform during our 4 hours off. My patrol was the top of the main gate. However, that was the only time we were issued fully loaded muskets... we were the armed guards during our orientation. I remember right after my patrol, we were rousted out and formed up; marched around to an area between the exhibit buildings and the fort wall. I watched as two guys came running out of one of the buildings. By that time the front rank had knelt down and we were taking aim. One guy was already lying on top of the wall and reaching down to pull his buddy up.

We fired. The second guy screamed just before his buddy pulled him over the wall and dropped over the other side as well. We found out later that the one guy was arrested by St. Paul police at a local hospital where he'd been shot in the hip and one leg. So, I can honestly say that I may have shot someone!

And that's my record and history with firearms. I would love to get more but I can barely keep my plastic model hobby going with the budget and income I have now! I would love to someday purchase a replica of an 1809 Springfield musket, among other guns. Oh well, maybe if I win the Publisher's Clearinghouse! LOL!

My apologies for this long winded trip down memory lane.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Carlos I agree the Beretta 92 is a great platform, maybe not the best but it's reliable

Duke that's a great story I don't think I could do that in the summer heat in full uniform
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark that’s quite a tale! Did anybody say anything to you guys about using a firearm against prowlers/burglars? I realize that was a different time back then, but I am curious as to anything on that side.

Clint, that’s the Beretta 92 in a nutshell, it may not be the best pistol out there, but it is very reliable, accurate, and does the job. I don’t get drawn in to the 9mm vs .45 ACP debate myself. I figure that if 9mm is good enough for the SAS, it’s good enough for me, and they have put more bad guys into the ground than easily counted. It’s shot placement first and foremost that stops any gunfight.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid”