The importance of cleanliness: Declan's Bench

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Re: The importance of cleanliness: Declan's Bench

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

speedgraflex:
I appreciate your insights and I agree with everything you said. I like the words of your father, they are the simplest yet most important words I think someone could say to anyone. As for the group builds, it wouldn't be very polite of me to just drop them after signing up. I encourage you to do group builds, they are oddly fun. Thanks for your comments. But I am not going anywhere. I will still be commenting and chatting, I just don't feel like building right now.

jeaton:
You are totally right about the results of sharing work. Small victories are the important ones. If not the most important are the little things in life which I in my short time on this earth have already found out by experience. Small victories are what make the big victories so much more fun! Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it.

Blacksheep:
(You are a master... as is everyone in my eyes). I do want to build for my own interest/satisfaction. I never intend on building for other people. I don't know how it ends up like it does, but somewhere along the route of my most recent builds, I just forget who the model is for. Perhaps my problem is that the people here are the only people who actually see my work. I don't have people in real life that come and see my stuff, minus my family of which only my mother is interested and that is brief at best. It sometimes doesn't matter whether I am happy with the build because I put it on my shelf and then.... nothing. I used to have friends who would come and admire my stuff and that used to be fun and I could put whatever the heck I wanted onto those shelves because they would admire just the same. They had no idea what half of it was, but it was cool. I digress; stressing over this is stupid, I know. At work we have these little rulers called stress rulers. They have an indicator on them that shows what level of stressed you are. The joke is, they are made with only one colour showing, and that is the highest level of stressed on the meter :lol: Sometimes I feel like it isn't all incorrect... This stupid generation that I got stuck with is only taught what NOT to do with our feelings which usually means kids my age just flounder in them until they get overly stressed. People think our generation is so strong for standing up for what we believe in, but really we have no clue what we are doing. People are told to be what they are and that just makes a mess. When you are told you can be anything, THAT is when you question what you are and get lost. Anyway...
This is the best forum I have ever been on. I have left 2 forums *unofficially* already, but never have I announced how I feel about the hobby. I don't plan on leaving this forum, the people here are too good for that.

Duke:
There is nothing meager about your work! You (along with basically everyone here) are one of the people I look up to because of your skills! Not to mention how ridiculously humble you are...
As I have said above, I really don't intend on building for other people. But I do like to hear that you simply just enjoy it!
The job market here does not really allow for fulfillment or satisfaction. It's more about "how can we abuse college age kids with low pay and low training..." But I really appreciate your prayers. What is important for me is sort of irrelevant to the jobs that are open for people my age :lol:

I have NO clue what you could have possibly learned from me, but I am really happy to hear that you like looking at my work. I will be sticking around, just not really building much (minus my group builds).
As for faith, you may have just inspired something...

Stik:
Everything is a learning curve, yes. I plan on sticking with this for a long time, this is not me giving up. I probably sounded a little more... depressed than I meant to in my announcement. Thanks for the tips about keeping track of what goes well and whatnot.
"The fate of nations, lives, or the world, do not depend upon our hobby work. A little perspective in that respect helps out." I am not exactly sure what that means, but I will keep it in mind. Overall I appreciate your outlook and your comments. Thanks!

I feel I should mention, I fail miserably at communication tone in my posts. I never intended to sound depressed or like I am quitting in my announcement. I simply wanted to explain why I wanted to take a break. The comments it produced, while heartwarming and very helpful were more than I expected! It is a testament to you all for the kinds of things you said. I couldn't be luckier for mustang inviting me here. Now I just need to find one of these in person... hmmm.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Written words are the worst at conveying feeling, sensing intent, tone, etc. you seem to be a good young man with a lot going for you...and with a lot on your plate. Remember, don’t sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff.

Life is too short to work a job you don’t like. I don’t recall you saying what you do, but take a few days off and look for something. See what is out there. I hope the aircraft mechanic classes work out fou you.

What I really like with your work is that youthful enthusiasm and your ability to switch things around just because you want to. That is haw you keep it interesting.

You are spot on about this forum and our member. Here, we care about you as a person far more than we care about your builds. Kind of weird, but we do.

I don’t have an audience either, I post here and on my FB page, then they go on a shelf. And there they sit. Kind of fun to look them over every so often.

Glad you are staying around, you have been a great addition to the family!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Declan - you should join the next Zoom meeting. The ones we have done have been great - not sure when the next is scheduled. Keep an eye out. You want see some old dudes playing with models? :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
Thanks,
John
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Wait we have zoom meetings on here??? I think I may join that.

Lyle: Yep written word is impossible... I am much more verbose and organic with my wording when I actually speak. :lol:
I try to be a good young man haha...
I work at value village. I accept donations. While that sounds... simple, the management there is DREADFUL and every single of my coworkers hate the job too. The entire team is about to quit. I live 2 hours away from the job too... which means the early start shifts (the only ones I am allowed to work due to having to use the ferries to get to work) makes me leave the house at 6 in the morning. I wouldn't mind that if I liked the job itself. I also only get to work every few days. I need to save up for college next year and I can't even get full time work despite the job being understaffed. There is zero communication in the workplace, we aren't given proper training. I have worked there for 4 months and my training isn't even technically complete. Also somedays I have litterly been given garbage so the person donating is given a 20% off coupon. Other people in different sections of the store act like they rule it, everyone is constantly angry. Add that to all the protocols we have to abide by due to the current worlds problem, and you have a recipe for a very undesirable job.
ANYWAY, I had some prospective jobs but sadly the spots were taken. I am still looking, I may just work at michaels again. I really liked working at michaels.

I really like the whole "vibe" of this place to use gen-z parlance. The care that everyone gives here is unparalleled.
Glad you understand what I mean about a lack of audience, in a sad way I guess. But we are all here to see your stuff!
Happy to be here Lyle!
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Declan, that job sounds absolutely dreadful! I’ve had some that were bad, but not like that! My sympathies. Get out of there before it sucks the life right out of you! Wow....

As for an audience, or some affirmation, join up with an IPMS chapter if there is one in your area. Find some model shows and enter a few things.

As for the Zoom meetings, they are great fun. We are due for another one. No agenda, just visiting and sharing what we are working on at the moment. They have lasted from one to three/four hours, I think. Be ready, though. There is a lot of gray hair, or no hair.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

LyleW wrote: As for an audience, or some affirmation, join up with an IPMS chapter if there is one in your area. Find some model shows and enter a few things.

As for the Zoom meetings, they are great fun. We are due for another one. No agenda, just visiting and sharing what we are working on at the moment. They have lasted from one to three/four hours, I think. Be ready, though. There is a lot of gray hair, or no hair.
Hmm I must see if there is IPMS in halifax. Model shows... that would be interesting.

I am about to make a lot of people who lack hair very jealous hahaha
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Hey I don't have grey hair......yet
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Declan, written words only convey so much. Without hearing the tone of voice and/or seeing the speakers facial expression and body language, we can get a different impression that what is meant to be conveyed by the speaker/writer. All I can say that I came away with is that you sounded a bit down regarding your modeling.

As far as my earlier statement of: "The fate of nations, lives, or the world, do not depend upon our hobby work. A little perspective in that respect helps out." I am not exactly sure what that means, but I will keep it in mind. Overall I appreciate your outlook and your comments. Thanks!, it means just that. While our hobby activities may be important to us at any given moment, in the grand scheme of things, and what’s truly important in our lives, they are not that important. Even when we are having a bad day at the bench, our health, safety, or next meal, or that of our loved ones, do not depend upon how well the paint came out, that we sanded that seam perfectly, or that glue fingerprint on the model. Do your best. But don’t beat yourself up when your best isn’t scale plastic perfection.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

tempestjohnny wrote:Hey I don't have grey hair......yet
Oops.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:
LyleW wrote: As for an audience, or some affirmation, join up with an IPMS chapter if there is one in your area. Find some model shows and enter a few things.

Hmm I must see if there is IPMS in halifax. Model shows... that would be interesting.

I am about to make a lot of people who lack hair very jealous hahaha
IPMS scale model shows are awesome! Look for my thread on Syrcon 2021 show. I posted some model contest entries and my purchase scores. If you get a chance to find one nearby, or even an hour or two drive, it’s well worth going. Be prepared to spend money because deals on model from vendors are unmatched to online stores. Oh, and don’t forget to buy raffle tickets at these shows. I bought 6 for $5 and won 3 prizes out of 6 tickets.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Member's Gallery”