Monogram McDonnell-Douglas AV-8B Harrier II

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Monogram McDonnell-Douglas AV-8B Harrier II

Post by Gary Brantley »

Earlier this week I posted photos of my latest completion, the Convair F-102. I took another model to the airport for the same photo session; it's one that was finished in the Spring of 1989. It was the fourth model I finished after returning to this hobby around 1988. By this point, I had learned that I needed gloss coats for decals, and a flat clear for final coats. I had started using Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat lacquers in the little spray cans. Things went well until it was time for the final clear flat on this Harrier. At the time, I had an hour off for lunch and I wanted to finish the model after eating lunch one fine Spring day. I laid the Dullcoat on too heavily though and it "melted" small divots allover the upper surface! Arrrgggh!!! And there was nothing I could do about it...

I remember modifying the rear exhaust nozzles so that they could be rotated down like the two front nozzles. I note also what looks like a hand-painted canopy, with no interior color at all! Oh well, learn and live, eh? One thing that bugged me then, and does to this day, is Monogram's "goof" with the mounting of the rear main landing gear. Installed per instruction, they end up sitting just above the surface of the ground. I guess I could say the Harrier was in take-off mode and just lifting those. For that reason mostly, I had never taken a single photo of the model in all the years since its completion. Friday's trip to the airport seemed like a good time to remedy that! She isn't much to brag about I'm afraid, but it is an example of my work from many years ago. So, here are a few pics of the old Marine Harrier. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your interest!

Stikpusher

Re: Monogram McDonnell-Douglas AV-8B Harrier II

Post by Stikpusher »

One from the early days… Kudos for taking the old girl out for a moment in the sun :shoutout: She looks good enough, and the outdoor setting does make it look better. It’s nice to see the progression of your skills from then to now.

I know how you can fix this… :hmm: build another one! :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

That looks great! You always do great work, even in those old days.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

-The old ones need love too, Gary. She actually looks pretty nice.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Gary, I cannot find any of the issues you mentioned. All I see is a model that surpasses my quality level, especially given how long ago you built it. I am thrilled to see this getting a shot in the light at the airfield!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote:One from the early days… Kudos for taking the old girl out for a moment in the sun :shoutout: She looks good enough, and the outdoor setting does make it look better. It’s nice to see the progression of your skills from then to now.

I know how you can fix this… :hmm: build another one! :wink:
Yes sir, a real blast from the past! She does look better out there than expected. Another one? I have sure thought about a newer kit, maybe a Sea Harrier? Thanks Carlos!

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:That looks great! You always do great work, even in those old days.
I appreciate that Declan! Man, what I didn't know about scale modeling back then!?! Still don't know much... :wink:
jeaton01 wrote:-The old ones need love too, Gary. She actually looks pretty nice.
Thank you John! I've still got a Monogram P-51D and AH-64 Apache that have never been photographed before, both are 30+ years old by now. Stay tuned for more oldies! :lol:
Duke Maddog wrote:Gary, I cannot find any of the issues you mentioned. All I see is a model that surpasses my quality level, especially given how long ago you built it. I am thrilled to see this getting a shot in the light at the airfield!
Sorry to hear about your eyes Duke. Joking of course! Thanks so much for the kind words dude! Yes sir, it was about time it got some love out there! :lol:
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Gary Brantley wrote:

Thank you John! I've still got a Monogram P-51D and AH-64 Apache that have never been photographed before, both are 30+ years old by now. Stay tuned for more oldies! :lol:
Put em in the Blowing Off the Dust!
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice Gary. I like that camo scheme and great pics
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice! It really looks great!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:
Gary Brantley wrote:

Put em in the Blowing Off the Dust!
Great idea Declan! :grin:
keavdog wrote:Nice Gary. I like that camo scheme and great pics
Thanks John, much appreciated too! :bow:
Medicman71 wrote:Very nice! It really looks great!
Thank you Mike! :grin: She doesn't look too bad if one squints just right. :wink:

Return to “Completed Builds”