Tamiya 1/48 F2A-2

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F2A-2

Post by Stuart »

Great start Carlos. I've always quite liked the look of the Buffalo, even if ir wasn't the greatest!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. It had a mixed service record, but in the right hands the Buffalo could hold its own.

So today was a lot of painting… and masking… I found some good photos of the F2A-2 prototype cockpit, and went with those as a guide. As you can see, the cockpit is typical of the Yellow Wings era, and mostly aluminum lacquer, but with black sidewalls above the consoles.

So I painted an aluminum base coat, and masked off the areas that would be black. Plus some Metalizer Steel on the engine to start that out

Next up is detail painting…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Chubby Tubby!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Ya with an oversized greenhouse so the poor pilot could see who was going to kill him. Like the Defiant a tactical failure that I still love as an airplane.
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Nice! I really must do one of these for my early WWII RAF collection, it's an interesting little type.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote:Chubby Tubby!
Yeah it sure has a stocky build
keavdog wrote:Ya with an oversized greenhouse so the poor pilot could see who was going to kill him. Like the Defiant a tactical failure that I still love as an airplane.
Yes and no on the failure. In Finnish hands, it was exceptionally successful and racked up a large number of kills. The Dutch also flew it well giving better than they lost, but in the long run were out numbered and overwhelmed in a deteriorating situation. The RAF/RAAF and the USMC had the worst combat experience with the type. Although the RAF/RAAF at least got something like a 1 for 1 kill/loss rate out of the type. The Marines on the other hand never had a chance, being both outnumbered and outclassed in every respect.
Stuart wrote:Nice! I really must do one of these for my early WWII RAF collection, it's an interesting little type.
Yes you should! And they do look pretty good in the RAF camo.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

After several weeks away from the bench including a trip out of state and then a bout with Covid, I was back at the bench recently.
I was able to get the cockpit installed on my F2A, get the fuselage closed up, and then attach the wings

After seam clean up is complete, I’ll get the stabilizers glued on then a few more things before basic painting can start.

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice! Glad to see you back at the bench! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Now I remember that seam behind the cockpit. No life raft to cover it in the British scheme I did.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looking forward to seeing a brightly colored Buffalo.
Thanks,
John

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”