1/72 Zvezda C-130J-30 Hercules 37th Airlift Squadron

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Re: 1/72 Zvezda C-130J-30 Hercules 37th Airlift Squadron

Post by keyda81 »

Did some detail painting this morning. Underside of the engines, and the black spots on the wings, and tail. Painted the tiny exhaust pipes as well.

Started on the decals after lunch. Wing walkway outlines were first, since I was dreading them. Just get them done and over with.

Realized I screwed up an area on the one horizontal when I painted it the lighter grey. Nothing I can do about it now, so it's just going to have to stay that way.

Finished off the decals on top, and worked on the sides. At least the ones I could do without picking the model up. I know better than to handle it before it's clear coated. I've learned that lesson numerous times when I find a decal stuck to my finger that I put on earlier. So it's going to dry for a while, get a clear coat, then I'll work on the stencils that go along the sides.

I'm starting to hate it a little less now after all the aggravation with the paint since it has a W7 and invasion stripes on it. :lol:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That looks awesome Keyda! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow! You may have some paint issues but this is looking first class! :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks guys! I've spent 7 hours on it total today between detail painting and all the decals. I got the bottom and the stencils done, they are currently drying, and I'll clear coat it tomorrow morning. Then I have some fiddly bits to make, the kit only has 2 pitot tubes, Hercs have 2 on each side. Couple pieces to glue on the engines, exhaust pipes and props. With any luck I'll have it done tomorrow.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Spent the morning making some fiddly bits. Had to replace a couple antenna I lost, and added a few things under the engines that I thought would spruce them up a little bit. Scratch made 4 pitot tubes as well. Rather than try to match the kit ones. After that, I glued everything on, added some soot from Tamiya's weathering powders. After 60 hours it's done. Certainly not without flaws, but I still think it looks good hanging from the ceiling.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks great Keyda. Looking forward to seeing both birds together. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks,
John
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thank you! Me too! I'm going to start on it tomorrow. I can't see it taking too long due to the size, although I did spend 80 hours on the 1/48 version, lol. I just looked over the kit, and it looks good. Even has the tiny Rebecca antennas. The 1/48 Trumpeter kit didn't even have them. They must of over looked that. I stole them from a 1/48 AC-47 kit I have. The AC's didn't have those antennas.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Beautiful clean build Keyda! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

That’s a fine addition to your airlifters!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks Stik! The 37th keeps pretty clean birds. I was wanting to dirty it up, but looking at pics of the real thing that wasn't the way to go, lol. Even the Hercs that were with the 914th here in the Falls were kept very clean. I set up a tour of the base, and we got to see one of the Hercs in a hangar. The rims on it were cleaner than the rims on my truck, pure white, and sparkling. I'll have fun making the C-47 a bit dirty though.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

What a beauty!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”