Airfix 1/72 Gloster Javelin mk.9/9R

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Airfix 1/72 Gloster Javelin mk.9/9R

Post by Stuart »

Once of the advantages of being the (mainly) only guy that regularly posts from the UK, is that I get to post some far out subjects that probably haven't been built on SPAM before - this one must certainly qualify!

First flying in 1951, the Gloster Javelin entered service with the RAF in 1956 after a lengthy development. An all weather interceptor - it flew in service (alongside it's replacement the Lightning) until 1968 when the last squadron operating out of Singapore replaced them with Lightnings.

The kit, produced using Heller moulds, represents the last mark of Javelin - itself a reengineered mk.7 (and 8) with uprated engines, radar and in flight refuelling capability.

The kit actually goes together well despite it's age, the cockpit being simple just using decals for the IPs and consoles.

For a 50s design, it's a damn big aircraft - it dwarfs the Tornado also on the bench...

This is were I am with it now, all of the seams are done and the canopy is fitted.

I've going to get the Tornado up to the same state and then I can paint them together.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Re: Airfix 1/72 Gloster Javelin mk.9/9R

Post by LyleW »

The “Duke” of the UK! That looks great for such an old kit.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stuart's got how many kits he's working on at the same time now? Watch out Duke.... :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

What a massive wing! And those big snorkles for intakes. Kinda reminds me of a T-Tail Skyray. Great progress
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:52 am The “Duke” of the UK! That looks great for such an old kit.
Since he moved to Wales, does that make Stuart the "Duke of Wales"? :hmm: :wink: (reminds me of a certain song)

Stuart that is one big beast of a kit! I never realized how large the Javelin was until you sat it next to the Tornado, which is no small aircraft itself. I sure see where Gerry Anderson had to get some of his inspiration for futuristic designs from late 50's/early 60's UK cutting edge designs. Gloster, DeHavilland, Hawker, Avro, English Electric, Vickers.... It is a crying shame as to what would happen to the UK aerospace industry not too long afterwards.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Not one of the most attractive British aircraft. Kinda goofy looking to me.

You're definitely getting as bad as Duke and me, although he completes more than I do. :giggles:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:52 am The “Duke” of the UK! That looks great for such an old kit.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:27 am Stuart's got how many kits he's working on at the same time now? Watch out Duke.... :giggles:
Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:36 am
Since he moved to Wales, does that make Stuart the "Duke of Wales"? :hmm: :wink: (reminds me of a certain song)
Medicman71 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:55 am You're definitely getting as bad as Duke and me, although he completes more than I do. :giggles:
I've only got four on the go at the moment! :whistle:

This and the Tornado in WIP, The Buffalo which is almost finished and the Thunderbolt in paint - which I'm only really picking up here and there when I feel like it.
Medicman71 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:55 am Not one of the most attractive British aircraft. Kinda goofy looking to me.
Some of the early British jets are an acquired taste it has to be said - I've always quite liked it personally, along with the Sea Vixen. The TSR.2 however, now that's a goofy looking aircraft.
keavdog wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:29 am What a massive wing! And those big snorkles for intakes. Kinda reminds me of a T-Tail Skyray. Great progress
Yep! It sure is a big beast! Thanks John!
Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:36 am Stuart that is one big beast of a kit! I never realized how large the Javelin was until you sat it next to the Tornado, which is no small aircraft itself. I sure see where Gerry Anderson had to get some of his inspiration for futuristic designs from late 50's/early 60's UK cutting edge designs. Gloster, DeHavilland, Hawker, Avro, English Electric, Vickers.... It is a crying shame as to what would happen to the UK aerospace industry not too long afterwards.
I have to say it was a surprise to me too - it really is big beast, the Tornado is actually quite petite by comparison.

I know what you mean Carlos, it is a real shame what happened to our industry - whilst it couldn't last as it was, it would have been good if a few companies had survived. Alas Bad politics and a bit of competition from a certain country (mentioning no names :whistle: ) put paid to it.
Last edited by Stuart on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The Javelin is an interesting airpalne, good to see one being built. I have the Airfix 1/48 kit in the stash on the someday list. I wonder if it will make the 1/72 Vulcan look small?
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Talk about being the ugly duckling of the RAF in Jet Age. She does kinda grows on you. Looking forward to seeing this one built up. The first Javelin of SPAM.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”