Academy 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIVe

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Academy 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIVe

Post by Stikpusher »

I started this project today, and this will be something a bit unique for me. This past Tuesday at IPMS, one of the local air museums, Falcon Field, came by with a request. They are doing a tribute collection for all of the RAF aircrew who trained there during WWII, and requested various types of 1/48 RAF aircraft from a list to be built by our chapter members for their collection. I volunteered to build a Griffon Engined Spitfire (no Marque beyond that was specified) using the Academy Mk.XIVe from my stash. I’ll be building this OOB, so that the project should go smoothly. I’ve built their Mk.XIVc previously, and remember that one being a trouble free project. All the kits built by us will go on display in the CAF Museum at Falcon Field for all visitors to see.

Here is my kit

and of course construction starts with the cockpit, of which I did most of the assembly today and am now ready to start painting.

more updates here when I have stuff worth photographing….
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Academy 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIVe

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Cool !
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

:popcorn:
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Good to see a Griffon Spitfire! Are you going to build the kit as-is, Carlos? I've heard there are some shape issues, especially at the nose.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tom & TJ, sit back and I hope you enjoy the show.

John, yes, I’m keeping it OOB, aside from looking to see if I have a seat harness the will work. The spinner is the most obvious shape problem, being a bit too bulbous. I’m gonna see if I can sand it down some to a more accurate shape. That all depends upon how thick Academy molded the sidewalls of the spinner… 🤞🏼
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool. But one word of advice, throw the decals out now.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Very reasonable approach, Carlos. I had many people complain about the inaccurate shape of the Trumpeter P-47D engine cowling. I personally didn't notice and purposefully avoided looking into it any further. :giggles: If it's good enough for the builder... it's good enough.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Medicman71 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:25 pm Very cool. But one word of advice, throw the decals out now.
Mike, the decals on my Academy Mk.XIVc worked just fine, so I’m not worried here. Worst case and Future will keep them in place. But the roundels they have are wrong for 1945, so I have some new ones on the way.
jkim wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:19 pm Very reasonable approach, Carlos. I had many people complain about the inaccurate shape of the Trumpeter P-47D engine cowling. I personally didn't notice and purposefully avoided looking into it any further. :giggles: If it's good enough for the builder... it's good enough.
Well, sanding the spinner is out. I looked at it for thickness, held it up to a strong light source and saw plenty coming thru. So let’s see what happens… and the museum guy already said out of box stuff is fine… they’re getting a model free of charge, so they can’t be too strict.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ooooh! a Griffon Engined Spitfire, and one with a bubbletop and clipped wings no less - very nice!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Cool Stik. Was not even aware Academy had one of these in 1/48.
Love those late model Spits. Plus you get the extra satisfaction of building for someone(s) that will appreciate your efforts.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”