Fujimi 1/72 F4U-1/5(N)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Fujimi 1/72 F4U-1/5(N)

Post by cbaltrin »

This is the current state of one of my 'other' projects. It's supposed to be a F4U-5N. It's really an F4U-1 with 20mm's, a 4 bladed fan, weird -5ish cowling, and a radar dome for the wing :headslap: This will likely hang from the boy's room when complete and then I won't have to hang my head to much :giggles:
Oh , Yea, anyone know where I can get 1/72 decals for a F4U-5N?

Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Fujimi 1/72 F4U-1/5(N)

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice subject. In my experience, I won't do another Fujimi kit.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:52 am Nice subject. In my experience, I won't do another Fujimi kit.
Well, it was tooled in 1968 according to scalemates, so I can't be too critical of this particular kit. Model kits have come a long way since then.
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:52 am Nice subject. In my experience, I won't do another Fujimi kit.
Fujimi, like everyone else, has their hit and miss kits. Some are good, particularly for their age, others not so much. Like Otaki-Arii and Nichimo, they were ahead of their time introducing recessed surface detail, instead of raised surface detail on aircraft kits. Their 1/48 Aichi D3A Val is a really good kit that just needs a few tweaks here and there. Although I haven't built it yet but do have it in my stash, their Bf-110C/D kit looks pretty nice as well.

Chris, it looks like you're doing as much as you can with the hybrid -1/5... sometimes I wonder why model companies try to stretch their molds in such a manner. As far as decals go, I'd say find some -5N decals and call it a day... after all you did mount the radome... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Don't get me started on Italeri kits... :giggles:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:37 pm Don't get me started on Italeri kits... :giggles:
Just like most other companies… hit & miss… nowadays they are a hodgepodge of so many different companies molds. Their old aircraft kits were very good for the era, just like their armor. They’re newer kits, not so much. There must have been a changing of the guard with their own mold makers. Good but not great stuff.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:39 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:37 pm Don't get me started on Italeri kits... :giggles:
Just like most other companies… hit & miss… nowadays they are a hodgepodge of so many different companies molds. Their old aircraft kits were very good for the era, just like their armor. They’re newer kits, not so much. There must have been a changing of the guard with their own mold makers. Good but not great stuff.

Yeah, I agree. Good but not great.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Right!! My last few Italeri kits were horrible and that's being nice.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Got some paint on the bent wing bird. Went with Tamiya XF Sea Blue as my Gross Sea Blue was thickening quite a bit in the bottle and I am in the process of restoring it with a few ml's of mr color leveling thinner. I think this is the first time I have used Tamiya Sea Blue and I like the color.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Gross Sea Blue....ah, I see. You've been reading too many old Hasegawa instruction sheets!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”