Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Member created Group Builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I knew that was coming…. :giggles: Great imitation of Lyle though… :giggles: :giggles: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:53 pm I knew that was coming…. :giggles: Great imitation of Lyle though… :giggles: :giggles: :giggles:
Stikpusher wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:38 pm Gonna jump on my Rufe soon...
Just don’t jump from your Rufe :giggles:
Many have tried to imitate but there is only one.

I must admit the Rufe/roof thing slipped by me at first. Old age and paint fumes, I g uess.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So here I go (again on my own) :giggles:
A new month, a new week, and a new project. I’m starting my long planned Otaki/Arii Ki-43 II, with a set of Aeromaster Decals, Yahu instrument Panel, and possibly some PE bits from this generic Japanese PE detailing set.

this is what comes in the box

Externally, as a typical Otaki/Arii kit, the detailing and shape is nice, but the cockpit needs help, and the wheel wells are barely there

So I started by drilling, grinding, and removing the too shallow wheel well ceilings… I’ll build new ones of a more appropriate depth

Then I addressed the pilot seat which has a block looking like a stack of phone books in the seat pan. Since the kit pilot figure is terrible, I won’t be using him, and I began cleaning up the seat, removing the block and drill8ng some lightening holes in the seat back.

I’ll address the hole in the seat bottom, then add a bit more detailing to the seat. There is a resin replacement seat available, but it’s’ cost and shipping is more than I paid for this kit, so no thanks…

More to come in a few days…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Cool. I always liked the interesting color of ARII plastic. They were pretty nice kits for back in the day, but ya those wheel wells...
I'm thinking about starting my Frank - just can't decide on which scheme.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice subject, Stik!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

keavdog wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:17 pm Cool. I always liked the interesting color of ARII plastic. They were pretty nice kits for back in the day, but ya those wheel wells...
I'm thinking about starting my Frank - just can't decide on which scheme.
Yeah, that blue gray plastic is pretty nice. Considering the molds are from the mid to late 70’s I think that they are nice kits and a great deal for the price. I’m looking forward to your Frank.

BlackSheep214 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:26 pm Nice subject, Stik!
Thanks Tom. I’ve been wanting to build this kit and kept putting it off for years… 🤨
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I'm sure it'll look like a kit from the 90's when you're done. That seat though :headslap:
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:55 pm So here I go (again on my own) :giggles:
A new month, a new week, and a new project. I’m starting my long planned Otaki/Arii Ki-43 II, with a set of Aeromaster Decals, Yahu instrument Panel, and possibly some PE bits from this generic Japanese PE detailing
More to come in a few days…
Good start Stik. Which marking option you doing?
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

TJ, I’ve already corrected the seat. It’s not super accurate, but it’s much closer to the real think compared with what came in the box…

Chris, I’m going with a 77th Sentai aircraft out of Hollandia New Guinea in 1944. The mottled green camo over bare metal.

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 am I’m going with a 77th Sentai aircraft out of Hollandia New Guinea in 1944. The mottled green camo over bare metal.
That should be fun! :bow:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash

Return to “Member Group Builds”