AMT's 1/48 ES-3A Shadow

Post your completed aircraft here.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: AMT's 1/48 ES-3A Shadow

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Very nice! What technique did you use for the patchy look? Black base or something else?
ImageImageImageImageImage
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks everyone!
BorgR3mc0 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:41 am Very nice! What technique did you use for the patchy look? Black base or something else?
Thanks! I use a darker gray primer, then take the main color and go in a random pattern all over up close with the airbrush. Then do a light sweeping coat of the main color to blend it in until it's where I want it. Then I'll go in with a slightly darker shade and hit the panel lines. I usually land up going in with another light coat of the base color to tone down the panel line shading. So I guess I do a post shading rather then pre-shading. Black to me is much too harsh, and takes more of the base color to cover up anyway, so the darker gray primer works pretty well.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

That looks very nice. I love the weathering. Many have tried and failed at weathering a modern us navy aircraft but y but you pulled it off nicely 👌
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks! Sometimes I think I overdo it. I enjoy the weathering process, and can get a little bit carried away.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

WOW Keyda!!! That looks awesome!! I have the same kit in the stash with a lot of aftermarket. I think I might have the wing fold for it or the Viking.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks, the wing folds would be a nice option if you have limited display space, it has a fairly large wingspan despite it's stubby fuselage, lol.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

The wing fold option on any Navy/Marine aircraft is cool. But they definitely look better spread out
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

tempestjohnny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:55 am The wing fold option on any Navy/Marine aircraft is cool. But they definitely look better spread out
Hubby did think the Hawkeye I did looked funny with the wings folded, but it's a nice option to have. Only other kit I've done that had the option was the F/A-18. Which it's really not much to fold up, lol.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That is a great scale model, Keyda! :shoutout: As others have said, the paintwork is just spectacular, and seems quite realistic to me! :bow:
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks!

Return to “Completed Builds”