B-29 Greenhouse windows are Flat???

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
cbaltrin
Master Member

B-29 Greenhouse windows are Flat???

Post by cbaltrin »

I recently noticed this. It looks like some , if not all, of the greenhouse glass in the B-29 , is composed of flat panels, not curved (excluding the 'nose cone' -- for lack of a better term). Dang, the thing was not as advanced as I thought...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: B-29 Greenhouse windows are Flat???

Post by keavdog »

Not sure - this modern pic is higher resolution and some of them look curved but then again - resto different animal???
Thanks,
John
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

I wouldn't trust a restored a/c in this regard. I'm sure it's not the original 'glass'

Here is a hi-res image I found..
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I'd go with Chris' assessment and the period photos. The restored aircraft "Doc" would have some sort of modern replacement for the panels. I seriously doubt that the original panels would have survived the decades of neglect until it was restored.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Here is Enola Gay as preserved in the Smithsonian

A whole bunch of great interior and exterior photos here...

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-o ... 9500100000
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I think they are running Doc unpressurized and have made "pretty" windows for it. I don't have access to it right now but I took some close-ups of the B-29 at Travis to figure out what the curvature was, but the flat and curved panes always appear to be symmetrical so I think the flat sections are original. But to build such a large aircraft with so much of it's internal volume pressurized was pretty revolutionary. In combat they depressurized to avoid structural damage from hits, but for the rest of those long missions the crew got to ride in extreme comfort for the day.

I tried to make a form for the Monogram B-29 canopy that had the flat panes, but failed. Maybe I will try again, as there is no such aftermarket and the Monogram canopy, in my opinion, is a big letdown for the kit if only for all the rivets.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

interesting discussion gents - from a manufacturing point of view flat panels would be a hell of a lot easier to make.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:49 am I think they are running Doc unpressurized and have made "pretty" windows for it. I don't have access to it right now but I took some close-ups of the B-29 at Travis to figure out what the curvature was, but the flat and curved panes always appear to be symmetrical so I think the flat sections are original. But to build such a large aircraft with so much of it's internal volume pressurized was pretty revolutionary. In combat they depressurized to avoid structural damage from hits, but for the rest of those long missions the crew got to ride in extreme comfort for the day.

I tried to make a form for the Monogram B-29 canopy that had the flat panes, but failed. Maybe I will try again, as there is no such aftermarket and the Monogram canopy, in my opinion, is a big letdown for the kit if only for all the rivets.
Squadron makes a vacuform canopy for the Monogram B-29. But I've never seen it in person and can't say if it has any flare panels or is strictly a thinner version of the kit part.

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

It has no flat panes either.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:16 pm It has no flat panes either.
Just a more scale thickness version of the kit part?

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”